• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Red oak?

cjordan

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 8, 2014
Didn't know where to post, so I figured this would be a good place to start. I cut a few limbs out of some red oaks around the house the other day " probably two weeks ago" I was getting ready to do a little grillin and looked at the pile of limbs. This stuff is still wet, so do you think this work for the pit? I'm on the process of burning the pit out now, and decided to throw a little on there. It smoking pretty good, and trying to burn. I just dosnt know if the smoke off of the wet wood would cause any harm, or mess the flavor up. Thanks for your help.

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Oak and specifically red oaks are some of the best for the smoker.  I have plenty of Black Jack and Turkey oak, but have always seasoned it before using it in in the smoker.

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
I would use seasoned wood, green wood imparts a bitter/strange taste on your meat, good seasoned wood leaves a mild even smoke flavor.

Gary

cliffcarter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 28, 2010
Which red oak are we talking about, there are about a dozen oaks that are called "red" in various parts of the country. That said the northern red oak that I use needs to be seasoned a long time, up to 3 years if you are using splits for fuel in an offset. In any event your oak is not ready to be used at this point, it needs to dry out for a while.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007

Which red oak are we talking about, there are about a dozen oaks that are called "red" in various parts of the country. That said the northern red oak that I use needs to be seasoned a long time, up to 3 years if you are using splits for fuel in an offset. In any event your oak is not ready to be used at this point, it needs to dry out for a while.
Thank you... I never knew that!

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Some of the Eastern Red Oaks are:

Scarlet

Northern Red

Eastern Black

Southern Red

Blackjack

Turkey

Spanish

Bluejack

Last edited:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.