Red chicken Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Feeling under the weather this weekend so grilling / smoking were out of the question. Easy soup of some sort was the plan. Winged it and made what I’ll call Keto Lazy Red Chicken chili. When I say lazy I mean I wanted as little prep work as possible. 1 large onion diced and sautéed. 4 cups of canned chicken, 4 10 oz. cans of undrained diced tomatoes, 2 cups chicken stock, 2 small cans of diced hit hatch Chile’s, 6 oz. tomato paste. 1-2 T each of chili powder and cumin, 1 t garlic powder. Simmered for 20 -30 minutes. Topped with crema,avocado and black olives with some lime slices. This should burn the bacteria from my throat 😂 Honestly for almost everything from a can it’s really good.
FC4F6024-2B2F-4EBA-8086-813DB22EEFB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! I understand how you feel... but your plating is still phenomenal even feeling down. Hope ya get to feeling better.

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great Jeff, but you lost me at canned chicken - yuck. Hope you feel better soon.

Point for presentation.

Chris

Looks great Jeff, but you lost me at canned chicken - yuck. Hope you feel better soon.

Point for presentation.

Chris
First time I’ve used it. It was bulk from GFS. It was far better then the little cans I’ve tried from the store before.

Looks good . Power of the can . My homemade soup is 90 % canned items . Just need to cook the " can taste " out .
I'm with you on low prep . Been vac sealing cubed meats for soup and stews when I break it down for other meals .
Cold and rainy here all day and right now . That would hit the spot .

The Bowl looks appetizing and now you got me wanting Soup and Chili!
There are some good canned Chicken. It's A LOT of work picking the meat but, Whole Canned Chicken, plain or Salt added Only, is great in preparations that finely shredded, cooked to Death, Chicken is fine.
The canning process virtually pulls all the Collagen out of the skin and cartilage and renders a ton of concentrated Gelatin.
The Gelatin IS the difference between Canned Chicken Broth and Homemade...JJ

Holy Smokes! 3 Tablespoons of Cumin is a heck of a lot for my taste. Especially since Commercial Chili Powder contains a good amount of Cumin as well. You must really like the Flavor.😊

There are some good canned Chicken. It's A LOT of work picking the meat but, Whole Canned Chicken, plain or Salt added Only, is great in preparations that finely shredded, cooked to Death, Chicken is fine.
The canning process virtually pulls all the Collagen out of the skin and cartilage and renders a ton of concentrated Gelatin.

Holy Smokes! 3 Tablespoons of Cumin is a heck of a lot for my taste. Especially since Commercial Chili Powder contains a good amount of Cumin as well. You must really like the Flavor.😊
Good catch J, should read 1-2 T. I started with one of each and adjusted to taste after. That said I do truly love cumin.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That is some darn good looking chili!
We make a white chicken chili, but have never tried a red version!
Just one more thing for the ToDo list!
Al

That looks real good Jeff! Hopfully your feeling better! Love the way presented it. Looks great man!

Jeff, sorry to hear you're not feeling well but I gotta say, that chili looks insanely good buddy. Absolutely gorgeous bowl and even sick your presentation rocks!! Great job and hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Robert

Looks tasty jeff. Hope ya get to feeling better fast
Your presentation when you down still Rocks! Skill I don't have.
Looks great! I understand how you feel... but your plating is still phenomenal even feeling down. Hope ya get to feeling better.

Ryan

Point for presentation.

Chris
Looks good . Power of the can . My homemade soup is 90 % canned items . Just need to cook the " can taste " out .
I'm with you on low prep . Been vac sealing cubed meats for soup and stews when I break it down for other meals .
Cold and rainy here all day and right now . That would hit the spot .
"As little prep work as possible."...LOL Looks dang good from here !

That is some darn good looking chili!
We make a white chicken chili, but have never tried a red version!
Just one more thing for the ToDo list!
Al
That looks real good Jeff! Hopfully your feeling better! Love the way presented it. Looks great man!
Jeff, sorry to hear you're not feeling well but I gotta say, that chili looks insanely good buddy. Absolutely gorgeous bowl and even sick your presentation rocks!! Great job and hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Robert
Anybody try the recipe in Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book? Deer have been hard to harvest this year and don't want to waste an entire hind quarters if it is not a good recipe. So far my wife has had the only success. I have had the book for a few years and it was a fun read but, never tried any of the recipes.
10 more days and my smoker is supposed to be finished and I am starting to line up what to cook.
View attachment 472050
On a scale of 1-10....Yep

I stick to one critical tactic when negotiating salary

That's a 10! Guy is sick and still puts out top notch food. Nice job Jeff. BIG LIKE
Thanks for the likes and complements on the food. Thanks even more for the well wishes on feeling better. 5 days into antibiotics and ear and throat infection faded a lot. Energy close to normal. Thanks again all.

Reactions: TNJAKE and Sowsage
Red chicken chili looks awesome Jeff! I want a bowl of that!! Sounds like it’s the cure for what ails ya!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky