Red Alder for smoking salmon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lonzinomaker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 8, 2018
Red Alder gives an mild smoke flavor to salmon. If you have ever had authentic northwest coast smoked salmon that is usually the wood used.
Found a source that doesn't seem too expensive, JustSmokedSalmon. Their website also has a lot of recipes to try.
I ordered 12#. Shipping was quick. When I opened the sack, the wood looked excellent. Website says the wood is kiln dried. And I would guess it is because the pieces look like mill trimmings. They also have chips but no pellets.

Attachments

• justsmokedsalmon-red alder1.jpg
    justsmokedsalmon-red alder1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
  • justsmokedsalmon-red alder2.jpg
    justsmokedsalmon-red alder2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: daveomak
I think Alder gives fish a distinctive flavor that compliments the salmon flavor better than any other wood.
I'm in Spokane. We have alder, but not red alder around. So I had to order online.

I've done some of my Salmon with Alder Pellets (Probably a blend of some sort).
I liked the taste I got.
No idea if it was red, purple, or magenta.
But when I see pieces like you have there, I think real wood, not some 'blend'.
It would be nice if you could get pellets that are 100%, then make them into dust.
Nirvana!

Lonzino, the USDA plant distribution map indicates that red alder is common throughout the panhandle of Idaho. You should be able to get plenty locally. Ask around

thanks, i'll look into it after I burn up my current supply

I've done some of my Salmon with Alder Pellets (Probably a blend of some sort).
I liked the taste I got.
No idea if it was red, purple, or magenta.
But when I see pieces like you have there, I think real wood, not some 'blend'.
It would be nice if you could get pellets that are 100%, then make them into dust.
Nirvana!
Smokehouse (Little and Big Chief smokers) are located in Oregon and they do make 100% alder pellets. I've used them before and am going to convert some to dust to try in my AMAZN tray. I think all of the other pellets they sell are alder blends. Their "chunks" are more of a chip size than chunks. The local Bi-mart sells the pellets here for under $5 a bag.
https://www.smokehouseproducts.com/collections/bbq-pellets

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky