Recommended Dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm thinking your 2 - 20 lb bags are for cooking in a pellet smoker ? The problem with those is that it's not 100% the flavored wood that the bag says it is ... They are made to be used in a burn pot as to where Todd's (Amazen Products) are 100% the flavored wood they say they are... He has both pellets and dust ... And are made to use in the trays and tubes ...

For people using the AMNPS, do you light both ends or just one? I saw a picture at sometime and it looked like it was lit from both ends....assuming you can get a heavier smoke (since dust is lighter then the pellets ) on less time

For people using the AMNPS, do you light both ends or just one? I saw a picture at sometime and it looked like it was lit from both ends....assuming you can get a heavier smoke (since dust is lighter then the pellets ) on less time

Some do.
I tried it one time, a couple years ago, but it got too heavy, so I had to snuff the one end out, which is a PITA once you get it going good. You have to separate the burning from the unburned, and it takes awhile for it to stop smoking from that part.

It usually starts out light, so have patience and let it build up, before you light a second end & get too much smoke.
A little smoke for a long time is Great, but a lot of heavy smoke for even a short time can be very bad.

Bear

I'm thinking your 2 - 20 lb bags are for cooking in a pellet smoker ? The problem with those is that it's not 100% the flavored wood that the bag says it is ... They are made to be used in a burn pot as to where Todd's (Amazen Products) are 100% the flavored wood they say they are... He has both pellets and dust ... And are made to use in the trays and tubes ...
I dont think, I ever saw this reply..... Youre correct as its to be used for pellet smokers, interesting. I'll still likely use this up before buying anything just yet as the results have been good enough, will think about that when these are gone

Some do.
I tried it one time, a couple years ago, but it got too heavy, so I had to snuff the one end out, which is a PITA once you get it going good. You have to separate the burning from the unburned, and it takes awhile for it to stop smoking from that part.

It usually starts out light, so have patience and let it build up, before you light a second end & get too much smoke.
A little smoke for a long time is Great, but a lot of heavy smoke for even a short time can be very bad.

Bear
Makes sense, I usually go 3 hours and havent had a ton of color but have enjoyed the results, was just curious if anyone else did it

Makes sense, I usually go 3 hours and havent had a ton of color but have enjoyed the results, was just curious if anyone else did it

Yup---3 hours is good for some things.
However I give it light smoke for as many hours as the meat is in my smoker, except when it's foiled or holding for Supper time.

Bear

I only light one end but I imagine lighting both ends with dust would still be a lighter smoke than one side lit and pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky