Recommendations for a Good Dehydrator

Discussion in 'Drying/Dehydrating' started by mds51, Apr 14, 2014.

1. mds51

mds51 Meat Mopper

I would like to purchase a good dehydrator for drying vegetables and maybe even some jerky. I have learned so much from this site about smoking meats and fish that I was hoping some of you had some experience with this method of processing.
    Thanks
    mds51

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have 'The Sausage Maker" D-10 SS dehydrator...... I've been using it for years...... Fan forced air circulation.... Dries stuff very fast... Thermostat to control the temp... I love it.... I have check the calibration of the dial and made a paper overlay to get better control of the temps... The original overlay was off by about 5 degrees.... Dave

Basil drying in there now.....

.....click on pic to enlarge.....

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

I love my LEM ss ten tray! Fan for air circulation. Ten trays of meat dried in about five hours. That obviously depends on the thickness of the cut.

4. mds51

mds51 Meat Mopper

Thanks Dave

I like the Stainless Steel ane the drying fan for even and quicker drying time. I will look at what Sausage Maker has to offer and compare to the others like LEM, Nesco and Excalibur.
    mds51

5. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've had the Nesco for about 3 years now with xtra trays. Use mainly for jerky with the occasional batch of dried fruits. Never had a problem, easy to clean, dishwasher safe and fairly inexpensive if I recall...optional goodies pretty much available everywhere