Recommendation of Gasket Material for Smoker Door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brenkj

Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
I took delivery of an offset smoker this weekend and I seasoned it Sunday afternoon. During the seasoning process I noticed a fair amount of smoke leaking out from the main smoker door. Can anyone recommend a heat-resistant rubber material I can use to line the inside edge of the door to create a gasket and seal in that escaping smoke? Thanks.

Reactions: negolien
Most of us use the high temp RTV silicone sealant to make a gasket of sorts. Clean the heck out of the surface it will go on (usually the under side of the lid/door) use masking tape to go around the edges of the main chamber, use vegetable oil to coat the heck out of the masking tape, then run a hefty bead of the sealant all around the underneath of the lid maybe 1/4 inch or so from the edge. Gently let down the lid and let it set at least overnight to cure.
Lift the lid carefully making sure the silicone comes loose easily. Remove the masking tape and Voila! you have a gasket!
There are fiberglass gasket ropes you can buy and glue to the lid, but in my experience they can't compress enough where the lid fits fairly snug and often leak as bad or worse than no gasket.
The sweet thing about the silicone is it hardens exactly at the right thickness in both the tight areas and the larger gaps

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Since this is my first offset smoker, I guess I should have asked the first question first: Is it okay for a small amount of smoke to leak out of the door? Is it actually preferable to having the door completely sealed? Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Since this is my first offset smoker, I guess I should have asked the first question first: Is it okay for a small amount of smoke to leak out of the door? Is it actually preferable to having the door completely sealed? Thanks

All smokers will leak a small amount. What you don't want is one that fits together so loosely that a breeze will cause it to puff smoke, or worse yet, draw in outside air into the cooking chamber from the gaps making it very difficult to maintain temps. Yes, some minor temp swings are inevitable, but the smoker needs to get it's air through the intake in the firebox and the tighter everything else fits, the more efficient the smoker will be and the easier it is for fire management.
It is equally important to seal any gaps between the fire box and cooking chamber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky