Recent loss is cause for lots of thought

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kansas city

Original poster
Jul 8, 2017
Kansas City,MO
Hello all I've been smoking for about 3 years on a mes that has recently kicked the bucket. So now I'm trying to decide what to do build one or buy one. Most of the time I'm smoking meats in small amounts with the occasional party here and there but I'm interested in maybe trying some local competitions to see if I enjoy it or not. I really want to build my own because I like building things and have the fab skills to do it. But, I'm also not sure if that's the best route to go. What's everyone's opinions on reverse flow and insulated firebox or completely insulated smokers? Also what are good options if I was going to buy one?

Are you wanting to buy or build another electric or something else? There are a lot of experienced builders here so I'm sure you can get whatever help you need. If you're looking to purchase another type of smoker, what is your budget, what are your needs and we can narrow it down.

I'd like to try a stick burner electric was okay but ready to put on my big boy pants and try something that takes a little more attention . If I buy one budget be around $1000-$1300. Like I said as far a needs I do lots of small cooks with the occasional bigger cook for a party but I'm interested in trying some competitions for fun. I don't really want a trailer type right now cause I'm not sure if I'll like competitions. I don't want something that I'll immediately out grow. All thoughts and opions are welcome and much appreciated.

Last edited:
If you just want to buy a quality built reverse flow smoker and start cooking on it, the Lang 36" patio models are about as good as they get and right at $1,300, plus shipping. A few of the guys here have one and they love them. I don't know if it's big enough to cook a standard course for a barbecue contest, though.

The Yoder Cheyenne is about $900 if you want a traditional direct flow smoker and is a little bigger than the Lang.

Academy Sports has the Old Country Brazos smokers for about $1,000 iirc.

If you have the skills and the tools already (welder, cutters, hand tools, etc..) then certainly you could build a nice smoker for your budget using some scrap steel or old propane or water tanks. You also get the satisfaction of having built it yourself with your own needs in mind and can add the little extra touches that you wouldn't get from the larger builders. Check out the build forums for lots of how-to and build threads to see what others are doing.

But, having not used an offset stick burner before, you might not know what your workflow is or how you want it to function best. If you want to get your feet wet cooking with wood and figure out what you like and don't like about it, the Old Country Pecos Coal smoker is about $400 at Academy Sports and is as good an entry level smoker as is available.

If it were me, I would build my own custom smoker and get everything the way I want it. In fact I am planning to do just that. I just have to learn how to fabricate and weld first. :icon_mrgreen:

I can't really weight on what to move on to but how exactly did your MES die?  It is pretty easy to rewire one and use a PID controller from a place like Auber and have an eve better controlled MES than what you had before :)

I'm just curious is all :)

I can't really weight on what to move on to but how exactly did your MES die?  It is pretty easy to rewire one and use a PID controller from a place like Auber and have an eve better controlled MES than what you had before :)

I'm just curious is all :)

I'm not sure I didn't really have the interest to look into it. It was working fine then it started shutting off on its own and finally wouldn't do anything. For the $100 I got it for I figured I got my use out of it.

If you just want to buy a quality built reverse flow smoker and start cooking on it, the Lang 36" patio models are about as good as they get and right at $1,300, plus shipping. A few of the guys here have one and they love them. I don't know if it's big enough to cook a standard course for a barbecue contest, though.

The Yoder Cheyenne is about $900 if you want a traditional direct flow smoker and is a little bigger than the Lang.

Academy Sports has the Old Country Brazos smokers for about $1,000 iirc.

If you have the skills and the tools already (welder, cutters, hand tools, etc..) then certainly you could build a nice smoker for your budget using some scrap steel or old propane or water tanks. You also get the satisfaction of having built it yourself with your own needs in mind and can add the little extra touches that you wouldn't get from the larger builders. Check out the build forums for lots of how-to and build threads to see what others are doing.

But, having not used an offset stick burner before, you might not know what your workflow is or how you want it to function best. If you want to get your feet wet cooking with wood and figure out what you like and don't like about it, the Old Country Pecos Coal smoker is about $400 at Academy Sports and is as good an entry level smoker as is available.

If it were me, I would build my own custom smoker and get everything the way I want it. In fact I am planning to do just that. I just have to learn how to fabricate and weld first. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for the info. Luckily I already have all the equipment and know how to fab just lacking the knowledge of the science to making a good smoker

I'm not sure I didn't really have the interest to look into it. It was working fine then it started shutting off on its own and finally wouldn't do anything. For the $100 I got it for I figured I got my use out of it.
Oooooh, I bet the rollout limit switch connectors rooted out and maybe fried the switch.  However, I don't think that would cause the Controller box on top to stop working.  If my hunch is correct that is about a $25-$35 fix and if you have the version of the MES where there is a panel for the roll out limit switch then it would take about 30 minutes to do.

Just some food for thought if you wanted to get it back up and running in addition to your new smoker :)

Oooooh, I bet the rollout limit switch connectors rooted out and maybe fried the switch.  However, I don't think that would cause the Controller box on top to stop working.  If my hunch is correct that is about a $25-$35 fix and if you have the version of the MES where there is a panel for the roll out limit switch then it would take about 30 minutes to do.

Just some food for thought if you wanted to get it back up and running in addition to your new smoker :)

Thanks for the info I might look into it when I get some time

If you search over build area there are a few calculators to get your fire box size, opening, exhaust size and height based on your chamber size (which I think is where most people start is chamber size)

Nothing looks quite as cool as an offset for bbq and being reverse flow, you'd have nice even temps, but something I'd consider is building an insulated verticle cabinet type... I think that's likely the most efficient design in the wood And charcoal realm... I've seen some cool ideas on reverse flowing those too over in the build section. (Smoke up the sides and then baffled back down under grate level)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky