Rec Teq PID controller vs Traeger PID DS controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Caps_Shield

Original poster
May 13, 2022
So in my research I found thought I figured out that Rec Teq had a better controller because it is a PID controller. That it vary +/- 5 degrees because of this. I was reading last night that new Traegers (Pro 575) not only have a PID controller but their new DS controller has a DC motor to make it stronger. Now I'm so confused. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Any help is appreciated.

Hmm I also know you can overthink things. The best on paper doesn’t mean the best for you. What are you using now or are you just getting into the fun?

I think most mfgs have gone to a PID controller. Though if it’s the same low quality crap pid or “regular” and fails frequently you need to consider warranty and customer service.

As far as a DC motor, just how strong a motor do you need to feed pellets? The unit now also will need a converter in the electronics.
Fyi, i have neither brand but a shitty 5yr old Pit Boss.

I have about a 4 year old Pit Boss I’m very happy with personally. Is it as nice as what we are talking about, no but it does the job for me.
Overall mine has been decent, I’m in the process of replacing the control board for the 2nd time, as well as the igniter and and temp probe (first for those two). The new models I see in stores seem much better built with heavier steel. I’ve read the control boards are better better and they now have a good warranty.

Green Mountain Grills switched over to a 12v system as well (prior to treager). The DC motor allows for easier variable speed control (on the electronic side) of the fan and auger, which both the GMG and Treager 12v systems use variable speeds in there programming. I happen to have both a GMG 12v and a Reqrec and both work very nicely and both give nice smoke profiles.

Hmm I also know you can overthink things. The best on paper doesn’t mean the best for you. What are you using now or are you just getting into the fun?
I’m new to the world of pellet smokers and would be doing it all for fun on weekends.

So in my research I found thought I figured out that Rec Teq had a better controller because it is a PID controller. That it vary +/- 5 degrees because of this. I was reading last night that new Traegers (Pro 575) not only have a PID controller but their new DS controller has a DC motor to make it stronger. Now I'm so confused. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Any help is appreciated.
DC motors have better initial start up torque and are easier to vary their speed. I'm curious whether the DC motors they are using are brushless. If they are brushed then there will be the issue of the brushes wearing out. As far as PID in a smoker or pellet grill they can always be improved. Whether the improvements make them better or not remains to be seen. PID control is a method and can widely vary according to the design.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky