Rec Tec or BGE?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Might just have to justify a trip to Texas if you had a party shack :emoji_laughing:

Well, truth be told, the entire house is a party shack. I designed it specifically for entertaining. Gerald has been here many times and can attest to that. So....sounds like you need to bring your happy a$$ to Texas :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Dammit Gerald, now I just have to order one. That way when you come over to play and help with the cooking duties you'll have two to play with that you're familiar with. One thing though....sausage gravy must be made on the Egg :emoji_laughing: That stuff was fantastic!! Did they give you an ETA for delivery?

Heading to the Rec Tec site,
Robert

No ETA yet...

That competition cart looks pretty awesome...

Yes it does but I really don't need it and the rest of the stuff that comes with the gold package isn't worth the additional $400 or so. Believe me, I crunched all the packages to determine which one is the most viable.

Robert

Well, I just did it.

Placed an order for the RT-340 :emoji_astonished:

I selected the "Tailgater" version because it will be easier for me to get it into the truck and take it up to the mountains for summertime smoking rather than buy 2 smokers. Also If and when I do get a bigger smoker for one or both houses I can move the 340 to the camper and replace the Weber Q. Anyway that is my logic.

I also took advantage of the sale on Lumber Jack pellets at Dick's and ordered 120 lbs of various types.

Spoke to Rec Tec and the grill should ship today or possibly tomorrow at the latest.....so bring on the briskets baby!

John

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Well, I just did it.

Placed an order for the RT-340 :emoji_astonished:

I selected the "Tailgater" version because it will be easier for me to get it into the truck and take it up to the mountains for summertime smoking rather than buy 2 smokers. Also If and when I do get a bigger smoker for one or both houses I can move the 340 to the camper and replace the Weber Q. Anyway that is my logic.

I also took advantage of the sale on Lumber Jack pellets at Dick's and ordered 120 lbs of various types.

Spoke to Rec Tec and the grill should ship today or possibly tomorrow at the latest.....so bring on the briskets baby!

John

Congratulations.

Any Stampede owners talk to Rec Tec, is there a winter cover in their future ? I know the Bull has one available. That is my only hold back at this time. I don't really need the bigger 700. Just end up burning more pellets to heat up additional room. The stack compared to the vents is another ? mark with me.
Better ? Worse?
May need to call and chat with someone.
Would like to add to the arsenal that I could get above 300° at times

Any Stampede owners talk to Rec Tec, is there a winter cover in their future ? I know the Bull has one available. That is my only hold back at this time. I don't really need the bigger 700. Just end up burning more pellets to heat up additional room. The stack compared to the vents is another ? mark with me.
Better ? Worse?
May need to call and chat with someone.
Would like to add to the arsenal that I could get above 300° at times
Stampede owner here. Haven't heard anything about a cover but I'm going to call and rattle the cage.

Re vents... I got the vent tubes (the little horizontal chimneys). I like them for keeping rain and snow out when doing long smokes. I've had no problems with them and I'm glad to have them.

I also have 3 grillgrates for searing. They say that because of the design that the surface of the rails run about 150°F hotter than the GT. All I can say is I get GREAT searing on my steaks. Again, I would not hesitate if I had to replace them.

ONE THING... when you get them, bring them up to temp and aggressively rub an onion on them. Makes them totally non stick.

My Stampede. FOR ME it's the best grill/smoker I could have hoped for. No learning curve. No trial and error. The PID controller is fantastic. The stainless steel construction is to tight tolerances and all the seams are sealed. If someone stole it I would not need to re-research smokers, I'd just by the Stampede again.

Edit. I can confirm the 1# of pellets per hour around 70°F ambient. I did a brisket at 40° and really didn't notice much if an increase. This winter I'll have a better idea of what to expect at teens to zero.

Last edited:
Like a kid on Christmas!

Well Christmas arrived a bit early....got the grill and it is burning in as we speak.

IMG_20191112_135911504_HDR.jpg

Well Christmas arrived a bit early....got the grill and it is burning in as we speak.

View attachment 411407
I'm sure you'll love it! Did you get the Grillgrates for searing?
Another accessory I love is a silicone cooking mat. Works great for small things - veggies, pig shots, cheese... Amazin' has one that covers the whole grill surface on my Stampede. I also use the Amazin' tray for cold smoking inside the Stampede (with the Stampede turned off).

I'm sure you'll love it! Did you get the Grillgrates for searing?
Another accessory I love is a silicone cooking mat. Works great for small things - veggies, pig shots, cheese... Amazin' has one that covers the whole grill surface on my Stampede. I also use the Amazin' tray for cold smoking inside the Stampede (with the Stampede turned off).

Not yet but I might. I have a Weber Genesis that I has a sear burner that I could use in a pinch. But I am considering an Amazin tray or tube for adding extra smoke or cold smoking cheese.

First I need to put a Lavalock gasket on the lid as it leaks pretty bad.

I plan on doing a couple of spatchcock chickens today to break it in. :emoji_grin:

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky