Reasonably Priced PID for MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomd8

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 21, 2018
I have an analog MES that I'd like to do some long smokes with but would prefer to not have to watch the smoker as closely as I do now. I'm using a TP-20 dual probes but as you know only indicates not adjust. After reading some of the threads regarding MES controller issues and looking over the cost of an all in one PID the choice looks to be either purchase a new MES with controller ($300-$400) or buy something like an Auber PID with probes for around $250 and upgrade my MES. I'm curious what any of you would choose to do and/or if anyone knows of a less expensive PID controller.

I wouldn't invest anymore in it I would learn it the best I could and if still not happy write it off and try a different machine,got a lot of equipment and that's my thoughts ,sell it and buy a upgraded model

If handy... A DIY build of the controller is cheapest route... Plug N Play is more convenient than a build...there is the question of what do you want the controller to do... just hold at one set temp.. have a ramp feature (ramp temps up automatically at certain times intervals )... ??

Mike - Thank you for your response. I have to admit I haven't used this all that much so you do make a good point. What makes buying a controller easier is that I got this unit unused for $30 at a garage sale.

JckDanls - Thank you as well for you response. You do raise a good point about ramp temps which may be limited or non existent in a prebuilt controller. Unfortunately I'm not an EE so a build would be a challenge.

I converted my Gen.1 MES to use an Auber PID controller and I am very happy with the performance. I'd say since you got your smoker at such a bargain price it would be pretty easy to justify the PID money. (But then I've always been able to find good sounding rationalizations for spending money on hobbies.)

Reactions: nanuk
Braz - Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with your logic. I do see some folks have done long smokes with the analog MES but how much babysitting overnight was required is the question. Certainly no rush on this decision. Of course once you spend $300 your nearly half way to a low end Cookshack which is stainless and seems to have a great track record...Yikes...too soon (LOL)?

On a serious note does the PID allow you to do a long smoke overnight...set it and forget it until morning?

I have an analog MES that I'd like to do some long smokes with but would prefer to not have to watch the smoker as closely as I do now. I'm using a TP-20 dual probes but as you know only indicates not adjust. After reading some of the threads regarding MES controller issues and looking over the cost of an all in one PID the choice looks to be either purchase a new MES with controller ($300-$400) or buy something like an Auber PID with probes for around $250 and upgrade my MES. I'm curious what any of you would choose to do and/or if anyone knows of a less expensive PID controller.

Hi Tom,
I can't help with the PID you're asking about.
However it could make it less confusing if you stop referring to your "Masterbuilt Analog Smoker" as a "MES".
"MES" stands for "Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse", and they are all Digital.
So there actually is no such thing as an "Analog MES".
Just a little Info.

Bear

The Auber plug and play comes with six step time/temps for step up or down after so many minutes you set the first step at. I did that for fish and sausage starting at 150 but got tired of setting minutes for each step so I put it in single step mode and use a timer to alert me to change the temp so I don't have to put in minutes, just change the temp up or down. If the electricity goes out it picks up at that set temp when it comes back on and stays there till you switch off the PID. In the default program mode it is nice after so many hours (set in minutes) it goes to a 140 holding temp if your gone running errands and the person around the house doesn't want to mess with the smoking.

Hi Bearcarver - Point taken and sorry for the confusion. I was trying to differentiate those with electronic top controllers from mine with the unmarked manual control knob. No digital readout. I had to edit my initial response since I see you refer to mine as a Masterbuilt Analog Smoker. Please forgive me but I would have expected the E in MES ("Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse") to stand for Electronic not Electric which is why I described it as I did. I understand differentiating by fuel type but not both fuel and controller type. Maybe MEES vs MEAS? No problem. My apologies again for the confusion.

Last edited:
Dr K - I'd have to read a bit on the steps but it sounds like although they are sequential one may have to modify the step minutes each time for a different meat being smoked.

JckDanls - Thank you for further explaining Dr K's response. Now it seems like you can define a recipe consisting of multiple steps, have them saved and refer back to them at a later date. Not so bad.

With the first step in the program you need to add in preheating time and you will find after checking the smoke etc. you'll be tweeking steps as needed. Since the controller and std RTD sensor is for smoker/sou vide I use it for sou vide and yogurt making in my slow cooker. It's nice to have the recipe memory but I don't know of anyone saving recipies. This one in my signature is $150.00 and I called Auber on available discounts and they gave me $5.00 off I guess toward shipping. I did memorize C for temp and T for time in program mode but messing with minutes per step and scrolling to tweek drove me to single step mode which didn't get me to even attempt to save a recipe with all the other food and chamber temp probes from other therms you use that cue you to check. I run my PID in P mode (P=1, I=0, D=0) to get me to any temp and over shoot a few degrees the first run up in the MES then holds to the degree or two without it coming out of full power before hand with the airflow and mailbox mod. I've used the settings out of the box and wrote them down and autotuned and it flashed 25 degrees before set temp which means waiting and if you open the smoker the same waiting again. Try different modes (P, I, D, on /off P=0, and PID) instead of filling all parameters with a number. I had Auber send me their sou vide chart on settings and what they gave was tons better than out of the box setting and autotune.

Hi Bearcarver - Point taken and sorry for the confusion. I was trying to differentiate those with electronic top controllers from mine with the unmarked manual control knob. No digital readout. I had to edit my initial response since I see you refer to mine as a Masterbuilt Analog Smoker. Please forgive me but I would have expected the E in MES ("Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse") to stand for Electronic not Electric which is why I described it as I did. I understand differentiating by fuel type but not both fuel and controller type. Maybe MEES vs MEAS? No problem. My apologies again for the confusion.

Definitely No Apology needed, Tom.
I just wanted to clear this up.
It keeps guys like me from going on & on trying to help somebody with their MES, only to find out way down the road it was an Analog they were asking about.
Happened to me many times.

No Problem,
Bear

Lots of inexpensive PID controllers out there that can solve your problems. Just need a little research and common sense.

Damn shame masterbuilt installs cheap electronics in their system.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky