Rear-Facing Reverse-Flow Barbecue Trailer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
9696fdb4_burnerin1.jpg
ae15833a_burnerin2.jpg

Why thank you!
I finally got it to stay below 250°f at low fire and stay lit, so except for some drip shields over the pipe burner, it should be ready to go!

Thanks Mike.

I used a 0-60psi pressure regulator from tractor supply. ($20)

89879dea_CamPhonePictures.jpg

The ring on the valve stem locks the dial in whatever position I want.

On a pipe burner(or on this one at least) there's only so much range you can get before you have to rethink your orifice sizes and/or manifold size. 

Gas volume and pressure will only do so much.

I know because I've been experimenting with different manifold designs for the last few days.

This one is my favorite so far:

7ccd36fc_CamPhonePictures042.jpg

5ec5a67b_CamPhonePictures043.jpg

0a47626b_CamPhonePictures046.jpg
8d9a80d0_CamPhonePictures045.jpg

Reactions: the1pearson
I adapted it to fit a small propane bottle so it can actually be carried somewhere.
(Probably a horrible idea.)
It's just a shell of 18guage sheet steel shaped like a sword.
If I swing it too fast, the flame goes out.
If I let it rest point down, the flames crawl up the handle and burn the cr#p out of my hand.
If I hit anything with it, it'll bust apart(or explode).
It's more dangerous to the wielder than the enemy.

Honestly;
I can't see there being any use in it other than as a way to get me thrown in jail.

I was considering making a slot in the front of the Buffalo's fire box under the rack (where the splits sit) and using it as a removable log starter.
I'll need to see how well THAT works because otherwise it's getting tossed for safety's sake.

If you use that sword as a burner you'll have to change the writing on the pit to "Crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!"

I am digging that burner.  It looks like you could very easily give your pit the whole Viking theme (given the helmet on your profile pic and the sword burner.)  I am wondering though, how long will that burner last, given its' thickness and the metal fatigue that occurs from repeated use?

That's a pretty good question.
I'm wondering now; What kind of steel do burner manufacturers use?
I'm guessing 316...?
Extensive, years-long comparative metallurgy isn't my idea of fun, so if someone would just kindly tell me what to build it out of I'll make it happen.

Mind you, I'm still wondering if it's not gonna be too odd/inconvenient to use.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a viking longboat theme would be great for one of the longer barbecues.
Picture the dragon's head prow jutting up from the front of the tank, round shields along the side...

Reactions: subvet
It wouldn't fit my rear-facing model, but if somebody wants to run with this, I'll donate the sword and toss in a horned helmet for good measure!
THIS PROJECT NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky