Really? Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
does this sound right?
299E7317-C66D-4AA8-B392-8D2FC3D2B49D.jpeg
at Kroger’s Memphis area.

The price is 2.99 lb. The ad is giving you an estimate on ABOUT what a packer will cost total. The one in the example comes out to about 10lb. So you will have a range of prices depending on weight. 2.99 is a good price though. Get ya one

Reactions: tallbm and mike243
TNJAKE TNJAKE Yeah I was kinda thinking that! Just the price per pound seemed lower than what i had seen. May have to swing by there and check it out.
Jim

Good price but it may be graded below select, which is no grade at all and may turn out to be from an older or leaner animal.
Go have a look, examine for fat content, flex and flop it around to see how tough it might be.
Saving $20 on a bad or tough/er piece of meat may be a bad choice when you factor in how much charcoal and/or wood plus rubs and/or injections cost these days.
Not to mention driving your cooker for 10 hours or more.
I like to buy prime or at least choice grade and pay careful attention to the meat I choose from the cooler before laying down the cash.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've been getting Prime for $2.83 /lb at Sam's lately. Our Kroger is still $4.99 when they have stock.
But I've been looking for smaller packers like 11-13lbs., since it's just 2 of us mostly. The Mrs. doesn't like leftovers, and I can only eat from it for 2 additional days. 11-13lbs is the right size, but difficult to find. They usually have larger ones out most days.

JLeonard JLeonard remember , there is a high and low end of each grade . Say it's stamped choice . You could be just better than select , or not quite prime . Same with the rest of the grades . You just have to look them over .
Don't be afraid to buy no roll beef . Can mean it didn't make the grade , or they didn't take the time to grade it . Again , you just have to look things over for fat content ( considering the cut ) color and overall appearance .

Thanks for the info guys. Never done a brisket (but ive been reading a lot on here and drooling over the pics). Just like some of y'all have said....I dont want to waste money and time and supplies on something that should have gone through the grinder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky