Re Wood Prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think the smaller the cut, the faster it dries. I saw some pics of your splits Jeff and think they would dry real fast. I go by sound... Give it rap on the driveway and if it gives a nice "ding" sound, you're good to go. I can get firewood here cheap. Most times I am paying most for the delivery. I like your plan for storm wood. Also, the orchards here put out their trimmings free for the taking.
Yea I think they will. I like the small split like that for temp control but will use bigger too once it’s cooking. You are so close to me if you have sources to share shoot me a PM. I have been able to find folks who will do oak a lot less than $400 / cord and will likely buy a cord of oak. Apple and cherry are a different story. Those I find so far consistently at $400 or more.

Jeff if you think the wood still has some moisture in it put some in the warming cabinet or on top of it while your smoking and it will help heat it up some and somewhat dry it if it's not real wet . Then just feed the firebox with that wood and put more in as you take it out.

As for prices of wood I have no idea I'm lucky and can find oak, pecan, cherry, and hickory for free usually just have to cut it up and split it
I actually did this with a lot of the oak which likely helped. The smoke coming off the oak was very clean and smelled great. I have an online acquaintance who cooks frequently in bigger comps. He swears he cooked next to Mixon in a comp and that after Myron had a good hot coal bed he switched to fresh cut peach.

When we lived in CA I'd drive up to Gridley and load the back of my long-bed pickup with apple wood until I couldn't fit anymore, $100. RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff, I got wood for my offset at a local golf course, they’re always clearing out brush and a lot of times they will have it split and stacked in random places.

Talk to a groundskeeper, they may be able to help you out. I got a truckload of oak and maple for nothing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky