re-finish the weber lid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jokerswild!

Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
So I picked up a pretty nice green weber kettle for my lid an rim. Ive added the top of the kettle to the top of my barrel by shimming it slightly with washers and "tuning the lid" to its new home. I feel like the lip of the weber will now have serious rust issues from the enamel cracking from this process. Should I grind the whole thing to bare metal and use high temp like the barrel? Or just take the bad spots down to bare metal and painting over the now bare, and the existing good enamel? It had one blemish on the lid when I bought it, that I had planned on dealing with anyway. .

The good news is I have a pretty darn good fit. I really cant turn the lid once its in place, and it doesn't rock. I will need a gasket and some rtv in the space between the barrel an kettle. We shall see how the whole thing acts when it gets hot.

Reactions: JLeonard
I wouldn't fool around with the enameled lid any further. Leave it as it is.

As you use the barrel smoker the bare spots around the rim will season and rust shouldn't be an issue. Unless of course you leave the barrel uncovered and subjected to the elements.

John

John

Mine sure seems to fit well. It actually snaps in place! Not sure if it will leak... but thats an easy RTV fix. I just dot want it to rust out. Kinda tickled I found a Greenie!

Regarding lid leaks. There needs to be exhaust right? Aren't leaks near the lid just another exhaust exist?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky