Raw andouille

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wildcatter

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Mountains of Western Maryland
My hog is going to meet his end next Monday. Part of him will become Andouille, which I've never made. Can I cold smoke and freeze it, and just let it cook it in the pan? Or does it have to be hot smoked to temp?

You can but your environment and meat needs to be blow 40 degrees while cold smoking fresh andouille. You can process the fresh sausage and place in the fridge and hang to form a pellicle then dip in liquid smoke then freeze. I suggest you add cure to the sausage and slow smoke/cook the sausage then freeze.... You need to be careful with raw uncured ground pork

Joe

I'm planning on mixing in cure #1, letting it sit overnight in the fridge, then a day in the smokehouse before freezing. I do have a rig I can hot smoke in, I'm just lazy. Probably wiser to play it safe and smoke it up to cooked temp though I guess.

yeahthat.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky