Rat removal (Anyone have any in depth knowledge?)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My dad had rats in his grocery store; huge sewer rats about a foot long plus tail; they multiplied so fast it was unbelievable.  He had a 22 pistol with hollow points and we'd shoot 'em whenever we could find 'em but they were subversive and hard to trap.  Of course we'd lay out traps too, but they'd crawl down in the well and die and we'd have no water half the time.  Frustrated, dad went to his dad's farm who'd had a litter of barn cats and brought home 5  1 yr. olds.  They mated and re-mated and in no time we had almost 50 cats we were feeding and they were utterly vicious!  They'd corner and attack those rats and fight them like tigers and drove them off; we narrowed the litters to 8 or 10 cats and only 1 or 2 were house pets, the rest were outside cats that lived down cellar did a great job maintaining the property!  Lucky we owned a grocery store, we'd buy an extra case of cat food and would have to open up 10 or more cans at a feeding, but it was well worth it... they were kings and queens in the store; laze around all day long and earn their keep at night, lol!  

PETA? OH NO! I'm gonna have armed hippies on my door step. LOL

I wonder if PETA is reading this? 
th_HaHa7_ani.gif
Wait a minute, that could have been a UDS. 
th_crybaby2.gif

I thought to myself today, "Self, you should just get a cat" That may be a good deterent after I get rid of this one. Good story Pops.

My dad had rats in his grocery store; huge sewer rats about a foot long plus tail; they multiplied so fast it was unbelievable.  He had a 22 pistol with hollow points and we'd shoot 'em whenever we could find 'em but they were subversive and hard to trap.  Of course we'd lay out traps too, but they'd crawl down in the well and die and we'd have no water half the time.  Frustrated, dad went to his dad's farm who'd had a litter of barn cats and brought home 5  1 yr. olds.  They mated and re-mated and in no time we had almost 50 cats we were feeding and they were utterly vicious!  They'd corner and attack those rats and fight them like tigers and drove them off; we narrowed the litters to 8 or 10 cats and only 1 or 2 were house pets, the rest were outside cats that lived down cellar did a great job maintaining the property!  Lucky we owned a grocery store, we'd buy an extra case of cat food and would have to open up 10 or more cans at a feeding, but it was well worth it... they were kings and queens in the store; laze around all day long and earn their keep at night, lol!  

I know..if mama ain't happy, no one happy. I have a friend in Calif. in the pest control business and years ago when calif became politically correct he came up with that. I used to joke about his business card should be shaped in the form of a Donkey. 
biggrin.gif

You know how it is right??  The kid is happy which keeps the wife happy.  The wife is happy then I "have permission" to be happy. 

We're one big happy family
yahoo.gif

Dave and Meateater, what would really be funny is to set up a camera and watch the rat try to right himself as hes falling in. Tom&Jerry comes to mind...Oh gosh, PETA is at the door with guns blazin!

Ever seen the oriental game shows where they run the water gauntlet? 
icon_lol.gif

There is a tremendous rat problem here, they chew off peoples toes in their sleep, for me if it was a question of the safety of my family or the life of a rodent, well, ...there isn't even a choice.

Those are some ingenious traps y'all have suggested, this might not work for you, but I'm with Pops on this one, we have anywhere from 15-20 cats outside, Mrs JPT feeds them (says they aren't pets, but has them all named) so they just hang around, ...we don't have any mice or rats.

See the electric cable, the rats walk on that to our house, boy do they have a surprise when they jump into the yard, we've actually watched the cats watching the rats as the come and they hide in the bushes just below the pole, ...waiting.

d3d3d5ad_Picture007.jpg

Gene

We live in a fairly old neighborhood. It was all farm land up unti the 20s and 30s. The city started expanding and then the section that our house is in sprang up in the 40s when GIs were coming home and needed a place to start a family. Needless to say the houses are sturdy but old and rats are fairly common. In our time here we have heard neighbors complain of rats but have never seen any. Today was a first. I really think an outdoor cat is a wonderful idea to deter rodents and I'm with you on protecting the family.

There is a tremendous rat problem here, they chew off peoples toes in their sleep, for me if it was a question of the safety of my family or the life of a rodent, well, ...there isn't even a choice.

Those are some ingenious traps y'all have suggested, this might not work for you, but I'm with Pops on this one, we have anywhere from 15-20 cats outside, Mrs JPT feeds them (says they aren't pets, but has them all named) so they just hang around, ...we don't have any mice or rats.

See the electric cable, the rats walk on that to our house, boy do they have a surprise when they jump into the yard, we've actually watched the cats watching the rats as the come and they hide in the bushes just below the pole, ...waiting.

d3d3d5ad_Picture007.jpg

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky