Quick question re: seasoning from a rookie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RookieDave

Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Just got a new electric smoker, I'm in the process of seasoning it right now. Curious if I need to let it cool all the way down afterwards before actually using it. Or can I get started right away? Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert with an electric smoker but the seasoning is just to burn off the oils and such during manufacturing. If thats been done go for it!

If it's a MES (Masterbuilt Electric Smoker) I use a tin can on the chimney to help with wind. Without it I was hitting 350 plus at the 275* on my seasoning run.

Attachments

• 20200612_182935.jpg
    20200612_182935.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: RookieDave
Are you just trying to get any oils to burn off the heating element, or does the manufacturer recommend some sort of oil wipedown like you would do an a steel pit? I would think once you have gone through the paces you could cook something since you have it up to temp.
Thanks for the reply, the manufacturer didn’t even recommend any oil, just basically burning off the factory residue and dust. Moot point now though, I ended up letting it cool down yesterday and will give it’s first try today.

I'm no expert with an electric smoker but the seasoning is just to burn off the oils and such during manufacturing. If thats been done go for it!

If it's a MES (Masterbuilt Electric Smoker) I use a tin can on the chimney to help with wind. Without it I was hitting 350 plus at the 275* on my seasoning run.
Cool, thanks. Yeah, it’s a MB, like that. Good idea on the can. Does that help limit sparks as well? Debating how far to keep it from the house, but using a can or something may help keep the risk down.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it’s a MB, like that. Good idea on the can. Does that help limit sparks as well? Debating how far to keep it from the house, but using a can or something may help keep the risk down.
I think it would take a huge wind burst for an ember to exit the chimney and i'll bet almost impossible.
My reasoning for the can was the erratic temps as its always windy here, I read it somewhere on hear. I get about a 10 degree swing on temps and the internal temp is way off low on my MES so use a smoke probe temp to tell the actual internal temp of the smoker and other probes for your meat.

Reactions: RookieDave
Electric smokers are about as safe as you can get for fire safety. You could put them in the house if it wasn't for the smoke being an irritant and possible asphyxiant.

But the can on the exhaust does extend the length of the natural draft which should increase air/smoke flow. That will reduce the max temps you can reach, and slightly increase your electric bill. But a 5" can is only 10% of the stack length so you probably won't notice 10%. The velocity of the smoke past the meat is definitely a variable though...that's why pellet smokers have a different sort of flavor...the hot air is moving faster past the meat.

Electric smokers are about as safe as you can get for fire safety. You could put them in the house if it wasn't for the smoke being an irritant and possible asphyxiant.

But the can on the exhaust does extend the length of the natural draft which should increase air/smoke flow. That will reduce the max temps you can reach, and slightly increase your electric bill. But a 5" can is only 10% of the stack length so you probably won't notice 10%. The velocity of the smoke past the meat is definitely a variable though...that's why pellet smokers have a different sort of flavor...the hot air is moving faster past the meat.
Thanks for letting me know. We’ve done a few things so far and yeah, totally safe!

I just smoked some spare ribs on the MES with a smoke tube only, no chips in the tray. It was a large 6lb rack, 9 hours at 230* and the ribs were at 270* when I served them. They were very juicy and tender but not FOTB but the bite pulled away from the bone leaving it clean. Maybe a few more degrees would have been perfect. I smoked them for 3 hours and then wrapped in pink paper for about 4 more hours checking temp hourly and then bbq sauce unwrapped for the last 2 hours. The smoke tube ran out after about 6 hours but I was just looking for heat by then.

There is still a learning curve and I'm not sold on the MES but it was a good meal.

Attachments

• 20200704_170219.jpg
    20200704_170219.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 14
I just smoked some spare ribs on the MES with a smoke tube only, no chips in the tray. It was a large 6lb rack, 9 hours at 230* and the ribs were at 270* when I served them. They were very juicy and tender but not FOTB but the bite pulled away from the bone leaving it clean. Maybe a few more degrees would have been perfect. I smoked them for 3 hours and then wrapped in pink paper for about 4 more hours checking temp hourly and then bbq sauce unwrapped for the last 2 hours. The smoke tube ran out after about 6 hours but I was just looking for heat by then.

There is still a learning curve and I'm not sold on the MES but it was a good meal.
Typo there ... not sure what the IT really was, but regardless time and temp are guidelines or triggers ... don’t rely on the IT but do the bend test and probe test to decide when it’s ready. Every rack can be different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky