Quick question about wood chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cseymour

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Newburgh NY
Hi All,
Got 2 butts on now for tomorrow's MD meal (kids prefer next day for the pulled pork). Anyhow, I am trying the minion method in my Char-griller using RO lump.

My question is with this type setup how do folk handle the wood chunks for the smoke or do you just use the RO by itself?

I am using the steel deep fry basket as a firebox. Can I just put the chunks to one side of the basket?

Thanks.

Chris

I am not totally familer with your set up, but I usually just throw the chunks of wood on the coals. I have previously soaked them in water for an hour or so beforehand.

This has been my experience so far (2 smoke sessions). I start with RO and get it up to temp then I throw the wood chunks on top of the RO coals. I add more chunks when I hardly see any smoke come out of the stack.
The first smoke I did was with 2 x 1.5# pork tenderloins. I used alot of wood chunks. The pork was really smoke flavored. Live and learn. Here's the link:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=4602

So for my 2nd smoke I made some baby back ribs with Jeff's rib rub (delicious by the way) last wednesday. I would only throw on 2 or 3 chuncks at a time, every thirty to 40 minutes. I used alot less chunk this time, lol. The smoke flavor was definitely there but not as strong as my tenderloins.

Then I would add more RO when the temp was go down.

Still good eating
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'm with Rodger!

Not alot though. One to two here and there. I also put a few chunks around the edges which will light when the coals get down low.

I was also told one time that once meat reaches an internal temp of 140*, any more smoking is worthless due to the pores closing in the meat.
Agree or dis-agree ??

140* is for the smoke RING not smoke flavor. the meat will take smoke throughout the cook

Thank you Keywesmoke.I was gonna mention that earlier today but I noticed some people get a little sensitive on certain matters.

I think we are using a similar set up.

Mine is a Kingsford BBQ with a side fire box.

I will fill my fire box with cold/new lumps, then start the chimney starter and once that is good and hot I'll dump them in the cooking area of the BBQ'r. I do this just to help rush-heat the cooking area. Get all the metal good and hot, Then I'll use some tongs to transfer the hot coals to the top of the cold coals in the fire box.

In my fire box there is the bottom grate where the actual charcoal sits, and then there is another grate on top to put stuff on.

I use two cast iron wood ship boxes and put them on the top grate. They do not make any contact with the actual coals themselves. Once everything is hot the cast iron boxes heat up enought that you can put wood chunks or chips in it and it will slowly burn the wood. The releases a lot of smoke for much longer time than just sticking them in the coals them selves.

Plus... when you burn out of coals.. you can just pull out the side slider to dump your spent coals without have to worry about picking out the boxes.

As far as how much to smoke... I usually ad wood chunks for 80% of the cooking time, then wrap in foil, and cook without anymore smoke for last 20%.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky