Quick Italian Sausage help needed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomorecoop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 1, 2008
Central Ohio
Just stuffed some fresh Italian sausage & threw it in the smoker. I did NOT add any cure.

The plan is to have this for dinner tomorrow, cooking it with fried taters.

For today, what temp should I take the sausage to? Should I go to 165* & simply reheat or should I take it to about 150-155* and finish cooking it tomorrow with the taters?

I worry about taking it to 165 & having it dry out when I recook it tomorrow, but then again, I do want it to be safe.

Thanks!!!!

I would take it to temp at 165. I have done them before like that and they were not to dry when I had them later....I started using a cure now in all my smoked sausage even if I brought it to temp. I'm sure about bringing it only to 150 or so. No experience there. someone will be along soon...

Personally, without the cure, I wouldn't have smoked it. It would be just fine frozen as I have done many times. As long as it's already in the smoker, I would recommend 165 degrees. You could cook it on the grill and put in a pan of beer. That's how I do bratwurst and they always come out juicy.

I'm with Bassman - I wouldn't have it smoked with no cure. Its kind of playing russian roulette...But if you are going to smoke with no cure maybe "just maybe" smoke at hot temps like over 200 for a short time and cook again to finish when ready to eat. Not sure if my thinking is correct though......

Thanks to all the quick replies.

I hot smoked it about 250* & took it up to 165*. It was only in the smoker for about an hour, probably closer to 45 minutes, so it should be safe.

I would have gone to 152°-155° without worrying to much as long as you didn't take to long to get there.
When I do my bockwurst and some other fresh sausage I simmer or poach in water @ 165-180 till the get to 155 and then freeze them and use them as needed. just heat and serve

BT,

There are many different recipes that call for different amounts of cure and types of cure.  Why not start a thread mentioning the specific type of sausage you are interested in.  Read the label on the cure you are using is the safest way.  Remember Cure1 or something like Tenderquick is probably what you are going to use.

Members can give you the attention you deserve without stepping on the OP if you start a new thread.

Al

BT,

There are many different recipes that call for different amounts of cure and types of cure.  Why not start a thread mentioning the specific type of sausage you are interested in.  Read the label on the cure you are using is the safest way.  Remember Cure1 or something like Tenderquick is probably what you are going to use.

Members can give you the attention you deserve without stepping on the OP if you start a new thread.

Al
I didn't intend to hijack the thread, just add to it, as the sausage I am hoping to do soon is indeed Italian. I will pick up some Tender Quick. I've used it before at a friends house when we made summer sausage, though I didn't inquire much about it at the time. Thank you Al.

And thank you Dutch. I will check out the link.

I just want you to have a good place for all the Qview you are going to post!

Remember if you are doing fresh sausage and bringing it to temp within 4 hours of it getting to the danger zone you don't need cure.

Most of the Italian Sausage I have eaten was neither smoked nor cured.  It was sauteed fresh with onions, garlic and bell peppers and served on poboy bread or along side a big plate of pasta.

Sorry if I gave you the impression I was giving you a hard time, didn't mean to.

Al

No sir, didn't think you were giving me a hard time at all.

I haven't had any Italian Sausage smoked myself, but think I might just give it whirl to rid some extra pork I've got.

I'm looking forward to post up some views.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky