Quick cure for bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
I’m making Bearcarver’s smoked ham recipe for the 4th time because it comes out so good using the drip pan above the ham. In the past I have tossed some sliced hog jowls in there too. I had the thought this time to cure the sliced jowls before putting them in there, then when the ham was done I could eat the salty smoky jowls too. Is there a way to brine with pink salt that would work in an overnight brine?

Reactions: kruizer
I’m making Bearcarver’s smoked ham recipe for the 4th time because it comes out so good using the drip pan above the ham. In the past I have tossed some sliced hog jowls in there too. I had the thought this time to cure the sliced jowls before putting them in there, then when the ham was done I could eat the salty smoky jowls too. Is there a way to brine with pink salt that would work in an overnight brine?

Yup, Like My Brother Richie said, if they're thin enough that would be fine.
Slice them as thin as you can, because that Drip pan works better with a bunch of thin sliced Bacon or Ham Fat in it anyway. Cured is definitely better for flavoring a Double Smoked Ham than just plain Pork.
Also: The only thing that wasn't too great after Smoking was the Skin I left on the trimmings from the Hams. That was too tough. Everything else was Great for Snacking!!

Bear

I would use pops brine and thin sliced

Inject the jowls.... Weigh them... weigh 1.1 grams pink salt per pound of jowels... I would add sugar at 5 grams per pound of jowls to tame down the salt... If you want to inject salt along with the sugar and cure, weigh out 7 grams of Kosher salt per pound of jowls... Mix the above ingredients into veggie soup stock, NO SALT ADDED... 25 grams of stock per pound of jowls...
Inject it all into the jowl....
My personal preference of syringe is..... The ones that come with TONY's... I've tried the others and they suck...... try and get the liquid everywhere... You're golden...

Tony's injectable 1.jpg

veggie stock.jpg

Reactions: pc farmer
Thanks y’all! Great responses from my SMF mentors!

I would just do like I said above:
Just cure the jowls & slice them for the Drip Pan above.
Since you're going to be adding a glaze, I wouldn't add anything else to the curing of the Jowls used for drip basting of the Ham.
Especially anything salty----The Ham already has enough salt in it.

Bear

Reactions: wnctracker
I would just do like I said above:
Just cure the jowls & slice them for the Drip Pan above.
Since you're going to be adding a glaze, I wouldn't add anything else to the curing of the Jowls used for drip basting of the Ham.
Especially anything salty----The Ham already has enough salt in it.

Bear
42EB857A-C1D7-4E59-A098-05C2A626657E.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky