Questions ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jongonz70

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
So Cal
Hi all,

My name is Jon and for a few years now I have been wanting to get into smoking some delicious meats. However, i do not kno any techniques at all. I am currently working with a 20lbs capacity "sausage maker" smokehouse smoker. It is electronic and says to use sawdust but ive only found mesquite chips. is there a difference? and when smoking do i have continual smoke or do i only smoke for a few hours and allow the rest to be just heat?

I want to cook a 5lbs pork shoulder and a 2.5 lbs brisket. I have a rub to use but need help on how to actually go about smoking the meat and how long. I have read that it should take about 7.5 hours to smoke at 225degrees but in the owners manual to the smokehouse i have, it says dont exceed 170 while smoking. is this going to be a problem or will i still b able to achieve some good flavored meats with a longer time frame? will i have to smoke it for a few hours then throw it on the grill at a low temp?

P.S. this site is great and i know that i will be continually returning to it and hopefully one day be able to contribute advice of my own. Thanks All!

Sorry all,

i figured out my smoker and i merely read the instructions incorrectly. i feel dumb but unfortunately all that has been said cannot be undone so i am owning my stupidity and going to enjoy smoking this meat i have. :)

Ah heck don't worry about bein stupid, it makes life more interesting.  Besides misreading instructions, directions ect is what bein a man is all about !!

Welcome to the forum and never be afraid to ask questions, lots of great people here to help out.

I have started my first smoke. i am using cherry wood for this smoke. it smells great and am hoping all turns out well. im just struggling with trying to figure out how to keep the temp around 225. its jumping up to around 238-240 and im just trying to regulate it. i forgot to take before and after pics but i will with the brisket that i am going to put in in a little while. 

@lugnutz- thanks for the support. really helps to know there arent people on this forum that are jumping at the chance to call someone an idiot. i know ill like it here.

Don't drive yourself crazy trying to maintain an exact temp select a range like 225-240 and try to keep it in the range

Okay, Thank you! i think i would've driven myself crazy had you not provided me with that advice. 
icon_smile.gif
 thats a load off my head. thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky