Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldeboone

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Mahanoy City, Pa
Has anyone installed top vents on Brinkmann electric to reduce cooking temperature??? Also thoughts on using chain saw to cut smoking wood.( Because of bar oil. )Ernie

Don't know about your smoker, but there is no issue with using a chain saw to cut your BBQ wood. I do all the time, in fact it's quite difficult to cut down trees without one
icon_lol.gif

Last edited:

Has anyone installed top vents on Brinkmann electric to reduce cooking temperature??? Also thoughts on using chain saw to cut smoking wood.( Because of bar oil. )Ernie
Welcome oldeboone, I had an electric brinkman, the problem with adding vents is that IMHO the heating element will just run more to try to get to the temp. you have set on the controller. I would try to turn down the controller below your lowest setting it is a reastat and should work even if turned below the low setting.  As for the bar oil question I know a guy that has two saws. When he knows he is cutting wood for smoking he has a saw he uses cooking oil instead of bar oil.

I was going to ask about bar oil but I ran a search first, and found this thread.

I recently got some windfall maple, and someone had cut it with a chain saw that left a lot of blue oil on the cut ends. I cut those stained ends off with a bow saw.

I have a little 8-inch chain saw that I sometimes use for cutting wood for the smoker, but it never leaves visible oil. I was wondering if the general wisdom of the board tolerates any oil contamination at all.

Nice trick using the vegetable oil instead.

If a chain saw is leaving visible oil on the cut wood it needs to be serviced. A properly operating saw with an automatic oiling system will not leave oil on the cut wood. Using bar and chain oil is not an issue if the saw is running properly.

I would never use any oil other than that recommended by the manufacturer, especially not cooking oil.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky