questions on smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphbrown05

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
jacksonville, fl
hey peeps, ive got a food grade 55 drum for 10 bucks today, but im having trouble finding a fire box... the guy i got the drum from has a ton of 20 gallon propane tanks like you would use for a gas grill... would that be sufficient enough for a side mount smoker?

ive thought about a uds, but i plan on doing a whole hog (about a 30-40 pounder) come february/march... is it possible to do a whole hog in a uds?  and what kind of plans would be best, to where i can utilize the most cooking space... but to answer your question, i was planning on doing an off set smoker...

i would do something like this if you are set on making a 55 gallon drum smoker

82a66aff_55galdrumsmoker.gif

I have made drum grills but not smokers... They dont hold the heat... the drum grill is for hot fast cooking

93d446f4_grill044.jpg

b0440962_grill045.jpg

I did this for whole hog

723d4ac2_general007.1.jpg

just to give you some ideas

joe

Last edited:
Holy cow!  I bow to the master
77.gif
 and love the photos.  Great work, and I would love to see the double barrel build if it moves forward. I bet a whole hog would fit.

I built one out a 2 55 gal drums and cut one drum in half and used that for the firebox, some would say that it wouldn't last but i gave it to my uncle about 5 years ago and he still uses it today, i cut the bottom of the fire box and put a clean out slide in the bottom so you can dump the ashes it was built out of 1/4" plate.  the only down side the paint wont stay on it but you can just keep a can of high temp close and spray when you are done smokin'. 

I built one out of 2 55 gal barrels and put fire bricks in the bottom to insulate the barrel and thin fire bricks in the top for the heat to help even out the temperature. This is a full stick burner and it uses minimal amounts of wood and works perfectly winter or summer
20211118_155604.jpg

Thanks 02ebz06 that was a build 3yrs ago and it's still going strong. My next build is getting ready to start it's going to be a Argentina style wood grill
20240127_143421.jpg
20240127_143456.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky