• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

questions on smoker build

ralphbrown05

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 3, 2009
hey peeps, ive got a food grade 55 drum for 10 bucks today, but im having trouble finding a fire box... the guy i got the drum from has a ton of 20 gallon propane tanks like you would use for a gas grill... would that be sufficient enough for a side mount smoker?

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
are you going to make a uds?

ralphbrown05

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 3, 2009
ive thought about a uds, but i plan on doing a whole hog (about a 30-40 pounder) come february/march... is it possible to do a whole hog in a uds?  and what kind of plans would be best, to where i can utilize the most cooking space... but to answer your question, i was planning on doing an off set smoker...

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
i would do something like this if you are set on making a 55 gallon drum smoker

I have made drum grills but not smokers... They dont hold the heat... the drum grill is for hot fast cooking

I did this for whole hog

just to give you some ideas

joe

Last edited:

frosty

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 25, 2011
Holy cow!  I bow to the master
 and love the photos.  Great work, and I would love to see the double barrel build if it moves forward. I bet a whole hog would fit.

bsmokin

Joined Nov 26, 2011
I built one out a 2 55 gal drums and cut one drum in half and used that for the firebox, some would say that it wouldn't last but i gave it to my uncle about 5 years ago and he still uses it today, i cut the bottom of the fire box and put a clean out slide in the bottom so you can dump the ashes it was built out of 1/4" plate.  the only down side the paint wont stay on it but you can just keep a can of high temp close and spray when you are done smokin'. 

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.