Questions for RT700 and RT590 owners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Well, have almost talked myself into one of these. I probably rarely if ever need the extra real estate of the 700, but wondered about a few things:

With a midship rear hopper vs on the end, anyone see a difference in auger performance or problems?
With a single vent at one end vs 3 distributed vents, anyone see a difference in hotter/cooler spots, more or less uniform temps along the grates?
With the same controller and construction, not sure of the rationale for a 6yr warranty one but ‘only’ 4 on the other?
There is mention of ‘searing kits’ in their description of the grate brush they sell, and kit available for a few models, but none for these 2 models?

Thanks for any clarification!

Kinda some tough questions as owners have either one or the other , nothing to do comparison with. The 700 is only 6" wider than the 590.
the smoke may remain in the cook chamber longer with a single exhaust stack, not sure. I liked the end hopper for another shelf when cooking, is what leaned me that way. It will be harder to cover for cold weather with 3 vents on the back. I haven't come up on anything yet. It works fine in cold but just hungrier for pellets.
Edit:
Looked at site, did not see sear grates anywhere. I would call and talk with customer service, and have them list your needs for price. No commitment needed. Very nice people

Last edited:
Kinda some tough questions as owners have either one or the other , nothing to do comparison with. The 700 is only 6" wider than the 590.
well yeah ... I can handle the easy ones myself (sometimes) :)

Yes, something like 36 vs 29, and both 20” deep.
the smoke may remain in the cook chamber longer with a single exhaust stack, not sure. I liked the end hopper for another shelf when cooking, is what leaned me that way. It will be harder to cover for cold weather with 3 vents on the back. I haven't come up on anything yet. It works fine in cold but just hungrier for pellets.
Good points ... I’d trade the pellet appetite for more even temps on the grates if the 3 vents helped.

Edit:
Looked at site, did not see sear grates anywhere. I would call and talk with customer service, and have them list your needs for price. No commitment needed. Very nice people
Have traded several emails ... appears those are back-ordered, but finding a few more threads here indicating they may not be all that effective, and I do have gas grill(s) I could use for searing, so likely will pass.

I have a 590.
Heat distribution is similar to my previous Traeger 22 grill. The 590 is a bit more even, but like the traeger, I find the right rear hottest by 15 degrees. I think it's more about the drip tray/heat diffusion plate design than the exhaust. I'm no grill expert, just observing my own data. I personally prefer the no stack look.
I have the sear grates. They work as advertised. I find I don't use them much because once you get them seasoned up, they are a little funky putting on and off the grill. I have them hung on a peg board, open to other ideas as far as storing them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky