Questions: Curing ingredients

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingt36

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Metro Atlanta
Good Morning,

I'm planning to get some more bacon going and wanted to venture out a little. I've been searching the forum but haven't really found the answers I was looking for. 

I want to add molasses to some belly during the curing process. Can I add molasses to Pop's brine, and if so, at what stage? Or, should I use a dry curing process if I want to add molasse, maple or honey?

Also, how much of it would you use? Is it possible to overdo it with any of those items?

Good Morning,

I'm planning to get some more bacon going and wanted to venture out a little. I've been searching the forum but haven't really found the answers I was looking for. 

I want to add molasses to some belly during the curing process. Can I add molasses to Pop's brine, and if so, at what stage? Or, should I use a dry curing process if I want to add molasse, maple or honey?

Also, how much of it would you use? Is it possible to overdo it with any of those items?
I have read on here so many articiles on Bacon but I think Dingo covered this on his bacon and CB thread check there while you are waiting for the experts to answer back to you

Dan

I sometimes add 1 Tbs of molasses to Pop's brine when I mix it all together. I reduce the sugar a little to compensate for sweetness. It adds a savory taste. Too much is not a good thing so start with a Tbs. I have not used Maple or honey so I'm no help there. Reducing the sugar and adding the the molasses helps reduce burning a little as sugar burns quickly in the frying pan.

I also read that extract is the way to go to get that maple "flavor". Do not really know, as I am new myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky