Questions About Purchasing a Pellet Grill/Smoker and Steel Thickness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbhoward

Original poster
May 8, 2017
Hi everyone.  I'm Brad, live in Texas and I'm new to this forum.  I'm also on the verge of making a  investment in a new grill/smoker.  Up to now, I've just been grilling with a Weber propane grill.   I'm also new to cooking with a wood pellet grill and I'm looking for some sound advice.   I have a general question.  I've seen a lot of mention in other threads on this site and elsewhere about this smoker being better than that smoker, etc.  However, I'm not going to mention a name of any smoker here because I believe that might taint opinions because a lot of people are biased when it comes to what they own.  Instead I am going to mention grill characteristics.  Now in anyone's response here, feel free to mention a specific smoker/grill by name but I'm not going to do so on this end, at least not with my first post here.

So here it goes:  I'm looking at two different grills/smokers.  I'm looking them to be configured the same:  on competition carts for easier mobility, with a second shelf and a grill cover so I can keep it looking nice for years to come.

Grill #1, with the second shelf and grill cover, is almost $2300.  Grill #2 with the same configuration is $1775.  Of course, each is about $215.00 to ship so we are talking about $2510 drive out price for one vs. $1990 for the other, and this is before other accessories such as a smoke kit or sear kit. 

There are various differences between the two:  one puts its fire box in the center, the other to the side.  One is easier to clean than the other and has a hopper about 1/3rd larger.  However, and this is the bottom line and the main point of this thread:  the overriding difference in the cost is that the more expensive unit has significantly thicker steel.  It's 10 gauge throughout and weighs a ton.  The other is 16 gauge steel and in double walled in the lower part of the pit and the lid is insulated.  So they use different approaches to building a unit that is durable and retains heat.  One uses some design concepts and the other relies more on the sheer thickness of the steel.  

Question:  is it helpful that a grill//smoker is build out of such thick steel?  In other words, does that "advance the ball" in terms of the final product? I can afford the higher priced product but I'm just a real believer in not spending money on things that are unnecessary.  Is the 10 gauge steel more than is needed to do a great job smoking brisket or a shoulder?  Before paying the higher price for a unit on account of thickness of the steel, I want to make sure the steel thickness is worth the signifiicantly additional cost.  From what I understand, both grill #1 and grill #2 are built like tanks and designed to last a lifetime.  The difference is grill #2 is very solid and figuratively built like a tank; grill #1 is actually built like one!  Lol

So the bottom line question is:  does the extra thick 10 gauge steel result in a better cook? If so, I'm more than willing to spend the extra to get that.  If not, then I just don't see the point in paying the extra $500+ bucks.

Thanks guys for any words of wisdom you might share.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky