Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

litmanc1

Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Houston
Im fairly new to smoking...Im wondering what the rule of thumb is for smoking a brisket. I think my temp should be around 220 or so. Is there a general guide on amount of time per pound for brisket?

Chris

Hello Chris -

What kind of smoker are you using? Temperature should be about around 240-250° F. When it's done it more a matter of internal temperatures than time. Brisket can plateau which means they like to hold at some temperature arounf 150° F or so and stay there for several hours. You can't usualy set your watch by them.

If you want to slice it smoke till about 190 - 200° F.

If you want to pull it smoke till about 200 - 205° F

Wrap it in foil then in towels to let it rest in a cooler for about an hour. It'll get nice and juicy!

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...emperature.pdf

I will take all the tips i can get. You asked what type of smoker it is, Its a custom built smoker, I guess some might call it an offset barrel smoker. Here is a pic...
28b321c8_vbattach12581.jpg

Chris-

Really nice smoker! Did you make it? It's a beauty! You shouldn't have any trouble smoking a brisket in that one.

The "general rule of thumb" is 1.5 hours per pound but like I said sometimes they hit a plateau that can last for several hours all you can do is wait it out! It's worth it though. Just don't be worried or surprised if it doesn't finish "on time." AND Use a thermometer!

Like Debi said, give yourself PLENTY of time. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the tips and the comments on the pit. I wish I could tell you I made the pit, but I can not take the credit. A guy outside of Houston makes them in his free time and sells them...Perhaps I will take better pics soon...

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky