Question ???

Discussion in 'Pork' started by roller, Aug 17, 2011.

1. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Is Middlings and Belly the same thing ?

2. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

New one on me?  This is not a culinary testimonial, but it is about all I could find:

1. Chiefly Southern U.S.
    a. Pork or bacon cut from between the ham and shoulder of a pig. Often used in the plural.

b. Salt pork. Also called middling meat.

Maybe some of our southern brothers can weigh in?

Good luck and good smoking.

3. roller

Thats a pretty broad definition " between the ham and the shoulder "  Of a Pig...would that be a young animal?

4. venture

Well, as the sub primal cuts go on the hog, "between the ham and the shoulder" would basically include the Loin and everything below it.  I would say that is a very broad definition.

That is why I was hoping some of our southern members could help us out.  I can't help but think this might be very old terminology?

5. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The 'middling' is the belly with sparerib still attached; it is when the loin is separated from the brlly/sparerib section, that is known as the 'middling' portion of the hog.  It was often times cooked whole or in portions, either fresh or salted, with ribs attached.

6. roller

Thanks Pops does it make good bacon ?

7. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Here you can see "the middling" section - "spareribs on top, bacon underneath"  or at least it will be bacon after its cured and smoked. 

8. roller

Thank You very much !

9. venture

Thanks Pops.  That was a new one on me, and I was going from a dictionary definition.  We learn something here all the time.  Great to have Pops with us!