Question ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
New one on me?  This is not a culinary testimonial, but it is about all I could find:

1. Chiefly Southern U.S.
a. Pork or bacon cut from between the ham and shoulder of a pig. Often used in the plural.

b. Salt pork. Also called middling meat.

Maybe some of our southern brothers can weigh in?

Good luck and good smoking.

Thats a pretty broad definition " between the ham and the shoulder "  Of a Pig...would that be a young animal?

Well, as the sub primal cuts go on the hog, "between the ham and the shoulder" would basically include the Loin and everything below it.  I would say that is a very broad definition.

That is why I was hoping some of our southern members could help us out.  I can't help but think this might be very old terminology?

The 'middling' is the belly with sparerib still attached; it is when the loin is separated from the brlly/sparerib section, that is known as the 'middling' portion of the hog.  It was often times cooked whole or in portions, either fresh or salted, with ribs attached.

2f6bfa7e_halfpig.jpg

Here you can see "the middling" section - "spareribs on top, bacon underneath"  or at least it will be bacon after its cured and smoked. 

Thanks Pops.  That was a new one on me, and I was going from a dictionary definition.  We learn something here all the time.  Great to have Pops with us!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky