question on the cure time and one more

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seadog92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Greetings!   I am in the middle of my curing time on my first attempt at bacon.  I made up the cure for 11 lbs of pork belly and added molasses.  I divided it up best I could between the four pieces of belly, vacuum packed them, leaving a little air space for liquid to form, and have had them in the fridge since last Sunday.  My question comes from something I saw on Youtube about curing bacon.  They said that as it cures, the meat is going to put off a great deal of liquid, and become more firm to the touch.  Mine is doing neither.  There's some liquid, but not a great deal, and it still feels like a hunk of raw meat, not firm at all.   Could I have done something wrong, or could I have misunderstood?

Seadog92

You have a pork belly that was not injected at a processing plant.....  A real, unadulterated pig belly....  

They make great, old fashioned bacon.... 

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky