question on seasoning my new lang

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timmyt509

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
I'm seasoning my new lang and the question I have is on pigroast.com it says to throw a piece or 2 on the fire after you have sprayed with water and turn damper to 45 degrees and almost close firebox dampers. Ok so my question is how long do I leave it in that postion? because I get alot of heavy smoke doing that and I'm sure that is what it is suppose to do but i'm not sure for how long and thanks for the help.

Light a hot fire to burn off manufacturing impurities.  Let cool until safe to coat the inside with spray-on oil (I used olive) and then lit a big, hot fire and ran it for a couple of hours.  Think of it like seasoning a giant cast iron pan: oil + extended heat.  BTW, it might be a good idea to let the neighbors and the fire dept. know what you're up to.  Mine appreciated the heads up so I didn't get any false alarms.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky