Question on lenth of smoke stack for CG Outlaw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck1676

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Crest Hill, IL
Onmy CG Outlaw I was reading about the lenth of the smoke stack for optimum draw. I used the Feldon bbq pit calculator it said i need a a stack of 21.5 Inches. Does that sound right? I'm not sure I'm a newbie. Cooking chamber 19.75"x37" Firbox 15"x17.25 Thanks Jason

That sounds about Right. However, the stack should go down within a few inches of the Grate. You can see on this NB pic that the stack is about 14" outside and about 10" inside...JJ

200x200px-ZC-bd0cf952_SDC12476.jpg

redneck, morning...  I used 17 D x 15 L for the fire box....  170 cu in for the stack... 3" stack = 24" ///  

15 D x 17 L FB = 150 cu in.. 3" stack = 21.3" tall....  

If you install the stack lower to the food grate, increase the length by the distance from the top of the CC to the end of the stack..

So, for further info, dimensions need to be labeled for proper calculations...   Dave

So here are better dimension. CC 19.75dia X 37L FB 15dia X 17.25L. Existing stack is 3dia 6.25" outside and 14" dryer vent inside. Does the length of the stack include the vent inside? Hope that's enough info. Thanks

15 D x 17 L FB = 150 cu in.. 3" stack = 21.3" tall....    That is the length of the stack ABOVE the top of the cooking chamber (recommended height)... Adding stack to the inside of the cooking chamber, ie. lowering to just above the cooking grate, is supposed to increase the heat flow across the cooking grate for more uniform cooking of food at that level and does not enter into the calculation....   

All of this calculation stuff and stack lowering, is predicated on the smoker being pretty much air tight from firebox inlet to exhaust stack...  Leaking around the door or firebox etc. kind of messes up the dynamics of the smoker operation...

Dave

Thanks Dave I will be sealing the cooking chamber and firebox doors shortly. I know they leak allot of smoke and heat. I did 40# pork butt the other day for a church event and turned out good just have to fight the temp a bit. Raining didn't help things

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky