Question on Charcoal & Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

britsmoker

Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Berkshire, UK
Hi all,

Had the new smoker for a few weeks now and have done 3 smokes - just small stuff to get used to it.

1st smoke - Whole Chicken & Baby Back ribs (had to do ribs)

2nd smoke - pork tenderloin & trout

3rd smoke - small 2.5lb boneless butt (and turkey breast for some sandwiches)

Smokes 1 & 3 the temp seemed to max out at 225 - couldn't get it higher. Used a full basket of Frontier lump from Lowes.

Smoke 2 had trouble getting above 200. Used smaller amount of Cowboy lump from Home Depot based on the fact I wasn't smoking for a long time. Tenderloin was bloody awful but I think it was partially because of the prepacked meat I bought.

Looked here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm  at some charcoal reviews but does anyone have a recommendation on charcoal? Would stuff that burns hotter help me to get a higher temp? Or is it just based on quantity and the smoker design?

Does the water in the pan have an effect on temp? Should I fill it or use less and replenish more often?

I have another couple of local charcoal supplies that I have not tried yet, but will.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Enough waffle, here's some pics from my first attempts at smoking. BTW, now know BB ribs are 2-2-1, not 3-2-1 they were a tad dry.

6d4ad2ad_DSCF1794.jpg

66d20d28_DSCF1801.jpg

f33e46fe_DSCF1900.jpg

534aafa2_DSCF1911.jpg

Everything looks pretty good but what would help is if you let us know what kind of smoker you have and someone with that model will come along and dial you in. Your pork has a small smoke ring so you are on track on that and your trout doesn't look dried out so kudos on that.
points.gif

icon_cool.gif

Well for having your smoker for only a couple weeks it looks as if you have got it well in control. You finished products looks fabulous and I'm sure mighty tasty too. I would also like to say that you have done quite well on some really hard dishes too.

icon_cool.gif

Well for having your smoker for only a couple weeks it looks as if you have got it well in control. You finished products looks fabulous and I'm sure mighty tasty too. I would also like to say that you have done quite well on some really hard dishes too.
All the great info I read on this site really helped me as newbie. Thanks to everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky