Question from a rookie smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmpbbq

Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Hi there, I recently purchased a Smoky Weber Mountain smoker and have used it three times.  I am going straight out of the WSM recipe book and everything is coming out great.  Now, for the first time, I want to try and cook two different meats at the same time, looking for some advice.

I will be smoking a chuck roast to make shredded beef which I have made before.  This takes about 6 hours.  I also want to smoke a beer can chicken, which takes three hours.  My question, after 3 hours have passed with the chuck roast, I will be adding the chicken for the remaining three hours.  At this time, do I need to add more smoke wood?  Or will there be enough smoke in the smoker to cook the chicken properly?  Or am I way off and should I be going a complete different route?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sounds like a solid plan to add at the 3 hour or so mark.

As for smoke, it depends on the wood you are using as the whether or not there will be enough smoke.  I'd add some when you put the chicken on, as long as it isn't an over powering smoke like mesquite.  

Also, remember to keep the beef above the bird or place them on the same level so the chicken nasties don't migrate into the chucky...

I agree with CrankyBuzzard.  Adding more wood would be dependent on what type of wood you were using.  

If you're using a lighter wood I would definitely add a little bit more but like Buzzard said, if you using a heavy smoking wood like Mesquite I would recommend not adding it.  

It's all dependent on each person's taste though, there is no absolutely correct way to BBQ.  There will be some individuals out there that will swear up and down that their way is the correct way and all other methods are wrong.  Everyone has their own method, you just need to find out what works best for you.  The thing that separates this from other forums is that it seems like everyone on this forum is very support and will give you constructive criticism.  Other forums I've been on can get rather negative and people seem to get very defensive.  If the end product comes out enjoyable then it doesn't matter what others say.  

Happy smoking and hope everything turns out good!

Last edited:
Agree that it kinda depends on what wood type and also on your own taste buds (how heavy a smoke flavor you like on your meat).   But in general, in my charcoal smoker (gravity fed) I have to add a couple of wood chunks about once an hour to keep the smoke rolling.  My guess is that any wood chunks or splits you added to your coals at the beginning of the cook would be burned up after 3 hours, and no longer making much, or any, smoke.  So if it was me, I'd add a chunk or 2 when I put the chicken on.

Red

Thank you very much for the in depth replies, I appreciate it all.

I will be using Apple wood correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is a lighter wood so I will add a chunk or two when the chicken goes on.

Thanks very much in eager to learn and will be following the forum very closely!

What temp will you be running? I usually do beef at 275-325 and chicken at 350ish....id probably time the cook so I can have the beef off and resting and then get my temps up to cook the chicken while the beef rests.....also, when doing beer can chicken I'm a fan of an empty beer can....the liquid adds absolutely nothing positive and only makes it take longer to cook the bird. Apple is a good choice, go light though, poultry takes smoke very easily.

On my WSM I smoke chicken, spatchcocked, in about 1 1/2 hours at 350 or even higher. The one time I tried ribs and chicken at the same time the skin, due to the lower temperatures, wasn't quite the way I like it.

Apparently some people have food safety concerns with beer can chicken.

I like what krex1010 said. Let the beef rest while you do the chicken.

I love smoked chicken on my WSM. There's nothing better anywhere at any price!

today is the day... Actually have the beef going now at 250.... The beer can chicken recipe I am using and have used before says 275 for 3 hours... Gonna keep the beef cooking at 250 and add the chicken at 250 for a little over 3 hours with another piece or two of chunk wood. will post results

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky