Question for you Big Chief owners out there

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wagdog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Utah
Let me begin by saying that I love my big chief. I have turned out smoked catfish, trout, salmon, and whitefish that would make you slap your mama. I recently did a few batches of cheese, jerky, and bacon. They've turned out decent but my wife pointed out that they all remind her of the smoked fish that I've done. Here is my question for y'all. Do you clean your Big Chief? I clean the racks and drip pan after every use but I've never cleaned the inside. I'm wondering if the buildup on the inside is starting to flavor every thing I put in there and it gives the same or similar taste. Thoughts?

I've never cleaned it. I guess I could scrape some of the goo off the walls. All the fish I do are hot smoked. The cheese and bacon were cold smoked. What do I need to do different with regard to cold smoking? Thanks.

I can say that if you smoke fish in your smoker, everything is gonna end up tasting a bit like fish. When I had my big chief it was for fish only. Everything else gets smoked in my other smokers. I just did fish in my propane smoker. Had to wash and scrub the racks twice and then run smoke only for 12 hours to get the smell of fish out.

Personally I think unless your smoker is dripping moisture from the inside top onto your food or you rub the meat on the walls I think it is just a mental thing. Because most people associate smoked foods with fish because until you start doing your own that's all they ever had! Same as deer or lamb taste gamey to many people because in their minds meat should taste like beef or pork since they hardly ever eat deer or lamb. Also every other bird doesn't taste like chicken!

Aw man. You mean I need to get another smoker to do non-fish items? Crap. 
biggrin.gif

I guess I better break the news to the wife.

Seriously though I may try the white vinegar to see if I can get some of that smell out. I do need to scrape the walls a little. It is hard to put some of the racks in. Or I may just save myself some hassle and go get another smoker!

Good point. I would agree with you but we do a lot of pork shoulders, briskets, chickens, etc. on a weber so my wife has had plenty of other smoked meats. It seems to me that the fishiness gets imparted from the oils of the fish. Now it isn't bad to me but she doesn't seem to like it. Gotta keep her happy...

I only do fish and jerky in my little chief. Same problem with the fish smell, tough to get rid of it. I would just build a UDS if I were you and rig up a cold smoking device in there for cheese and what not. I use a coffee can and a soldering iron and it works great. I do all my cold smoking in there and have had no issues. It is nice to have a large smoker sometimes and the UDS fits the bill for me.

I only do fish and jerky in my little chief. Same problem with the fish smell, tough to get rid of it. I would just build a UDS if I were you and rig up a cold smoking device in there for cheese and what not. I use a coffee can and a soldering iron and it works great. I do all my cold smoking in there and have had no issues. It is nice to have a large smoker sometimes and the UDS fits the bill for me.

That looks awesome!

Let me begin by saying that I love my big chief. I have turned out smoked catfish, trout, salmon, and whitefish that would make you slap your mama. I recently did a few batches of cheese, jerky, and bacon. They've turned out decent but my wife pointed out that they all remind her of the smoked fish that I've done. Here is my question for y'all. Do you clean your Big Chief? I clean the racks and drip pan after every use but I've never cleaned the inside. I'm wondering if the buildup on the inside is starting to flavor every thing I put in there and it gives the same or similar taste. Thoughts?

This thing has been smoking fish for pushing 30 years... It is, in my opinion, the best fish smoker on the market...... DON'T CLEAN IT...... Buy/build another smoker for meats... I too, found the fish taste carried over...

Last edited:
Man that has been put to good use. Looks like you modded it some as well.

Roger that. You must do a lot of fish to run two!
Yup.  Lots of King Salmon goes through the big chiefs during fishing season.  I was more concerned with the fish smelling like beef pork, etc.  Thus why I got the Masterbuilt for everything else including cold smoking cheese, butter.  I do cold smoke my lox in the Chiefs.

To you and timberjet,  I modified both the Chiefs with bigger and adjustable heating elements.  Never looked back.  Just something to ponder.

Last edited:
This thing has been smoking fish for pushing 30 years... It is, in my opinion, the best fish smoker on the market...... DON'T CLEAN IT...... Buy/build another smoker for meats... I too, found the fish taste carried over...

Dave,

I've noticed a couple times that you use a big chief for fish, do you have a post on your mods? As I am finishing up my traulsen build I am starting to get concerned about if I want to risk getting a fishy taste or smell going in my nice smoker. I plan to use it mainly for red meats and sausage. Think it might be better to take your advice and get a big chief, one just popped up on CL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky