Question about turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newarcher

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
I smoked a turkey on thanksgiving and it turned out really well, I think.  However, I was not a fan of the traditional parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme that the recipe called on me to put between the skin and breast (mixed with olive oil to bring out the oil soluble parts of the herbs).

I will be smoking another turkey tomorrow.  This time I thought that I would just mix my standard chicken dry rub with some olive oil and use it instead of all the traditonal turkey spices above.

The question I have is whether to put my dry rub and olive oil paste between the skin and breast or just on the outside?  Anyone with experience?

I'll be using applewood as my smoking wood.  Rockwood charcoal

Last edited:

I've smoked 2 and I added the rub on the outside both times and both turned out just fine
Thanks GA boy!

I plan on injecting it with some butter tonight and then put some aromatics in the cavity.

I'll use the rub and see how she does.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky