Question about temp and display

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BassnChris

Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
Broken Arrow, OK
First time pellet grill/smoker owner.

I just purchased an Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX grill and I have completed one smoke on it a week after I completed the initial burn in.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or expected behavior:
Set the dial to 200 degrees and let it pre heat.
The internal temp display is reporting 190 degrees.
My fireboard reports the temp at 230.4
Grill temp.jpg
degrees.

I feel like the temp on the dial should be closer to the actual temperature of the grill.
41 degrees off seems like a lot to me.

I tested my fireboard probe with ice water and boiling water and it was right on the mark.

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks
Chris

Thanks - I did that and that is what I am using to compare the temps.
My question is really - is this the 'normal' for pellet grills?
or
Should I expect the temps to be closer?

Many folks use a separate therm to verify temp. Built in temp gauges no matter the model/make are not to be trusted. My GMG pellet is is similar to yours in how "off" gauge is. Since your grill is new maybe tech support will have a solution.

Did you also measure the temp at grate level? The grills temp probe is located in a place that is safe from being damaged by cleaning, moving food, etc. Subsequently, it may not accurately reflect what the average temp is inside the grill, so some mfg will compensate for this offset. Measure again at grate level and see if that is closer.

Did you also measure the temp at grate level? The grills temp probe is located in a place that is safe from being damaged by cleaning, moving food, etc. Subsequently, it may not accurately reflect what the average temp is inside the grill, so some mfg will compensate for this offset. Measure again at grate level and see if that is closer.
Yes. The probe is at grate level on left side. I place fireboard probe right next to the grill sensor.

I'm mostly bothered by the fact that when the dial is set to 200 it runs at 230....does not seem to be any increments in settings between low, 200, 225 and so on.

I'm mostly bothered by the fact that when the dial is set to 200 it runs at 230....does not seem to be any increments in settings between low, 200, 225 and so on.

I'd be calling CS again and discuss possible calibration techniques for the auger... if there are any.

First time pellet grill/smoker owner.

I just purchased an Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX grill and I have completed one smoke on it a week after I completed the initial burn in.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or expected behavior:
Set the dial to 200 degrees and let it pre heat.
The internal temp display is reporting 190 degrees.
My fireboard reports the temp at 230.4View attachment 438079 degrees.

I feel like the temp on the dial should be closer to the actual temperature of the grill.
41 degrees off seems like a lot to me.

I tested my fireboard probe with ice water and boiling water and it was right on the mark.

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks
Chris

Your Ok Joe DLX Pellet Grill does not have a PID type controller, so the temps on it will swing within 20*-30* degrees from the set temp. This is completely normal for the type of controller your pellet grill has. The temp dial on your controller goes from 200*-225*-250*... and again, as long as the temp swings are within the 20*-30* degree margin, you should be fine and your grills controller is working as designed. Now, if you’re seeing temps 50*-75* plus degrees outside of the set point, then yes, there is a problem. Pellet Grills with PID Controllers are able to dial their temps in much tighter and have fewer temp swings then Non PID Controller Grills. Often times with Non PID Controller Pellet Grills, once the preheating cycle for each and every cook is completed or about 20-30 mins have passed from start up, the grills temps will be more stable and settled. Pellet grills usually will temp the hottest centered right over the burn pot... There was a good thread about this very same topic a few weeks back. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/temperature-swings-why-should-i-care.295841/
I would do a low and slow cook at 225* or 250* degrees and make sure that the sear zone handle is set completely in the smoke position and not centered or in the sear position. The wrong sear zone setting/position can allow more heat into the cooking chamber then desired... With all things new, it’ll take a few cooks to get everything all figured out and dialed in. If you were expecting near perfect temperature variances from a Non PID Controller Pellet Grill, that’s not going to happen. Temp variances/swings of 20*-30* degrees are completely normal. Even home kitchen ovens have temps swings as well. Good luck.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: jmtyndall
It ran steady around 230 the whole time....I was just bothered by the fact that it was set at 200 but was running at 230...I did not think that was 'swing' as much as it was misreading temp or a malfunctioning display/dial assembly.

I do appreciate your detailed explanation, it was very informative and helpful.

Thanks
Chris

Reactions: RCAlan
I don't think your control has a value to adjust your RTD reading. Some controls allow you to make variable shifts to "dial in" RTDs and meat probes.

Since you've checked it, obviously it's going to be something your concerned about. I would place your thermometer around the grilling surface. Try to feel out an average temp for the low, 200, and 225 settings. Those temps will likely change some with ambient temps, wind, ect. But you will have an idea where to set the grill to get a temp range your looking for. I know it's not perfect, but some of that data added to a few cooks I bet money you are making some good eats.

I went through that with a Traeger. It drove me nuts until I learned the thing was decently consistent. Consistency let me adapt to the grill, and mostly I was pleased with the food.

Reactions: bill1 and RCAlan
It ran steady around 230 the whole time....I was just bothered by the fact that it was set at 200 but was running at 230...I did not think that was 'swing' as much as it was misreading temp or a malfunctioning display/dial assembly.

I do appreciate your detailed explanation, it was very informative and helpful.

Thanks
Chris

I’ve actually seen the OK Joe DLX on display and upon inspection, the sear chamber section of the grill is unique in its design and it also covers a large portion in the center of the grill. The sear chamber section and the sear chamber plate is also serving as your grills Heat Diffuser... The size of the sear section chamber is great for searing foods at high temps, but during low and slow cooks, its large size may also be amplifying the heat generated in your pellet grill just a little. That’s just my observation from looking at its design. Also, if the sear zone cover plate was made of thicker material, then it would diffuse/control the heat much better and your grills temps and your wireless thermometers temps would be more in sync with each other... It’s one of those give and take things with a pellet grill trying to do all things good. Overall though, for the price and the features offered, I think the OK Joe DLX looks like a pretty good pellet grill with room for a few very minor improvements. Funny, I saw it side by side with the $1000.00 Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill and to me upon inspecting both grills, I would have bought the OK Joe DLX first without hesitation... and this was before all the mess about the Weber SmokeFire grease fires and flame out issues appeared online. 02

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: phamnghi98275
Guys I also have the DLX OKLAHOMA, I have had 3 different probes working at the sam time. 1 is my igrill mini, 1 is the factory probe mounted inside , and the other is the plug in probe that came with the DLX . All 3 are different readings.

These are my readings , I'm ok with this slight difference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200610-142746_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200610-142746_Gallery.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20200610-142705_Weber iGrill.jpg
    Screenshot_20200610-142705_Weber iGrill.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 75
10deg accuracy is reasonable. 40 is not. Usually when factory probes read 40 low it's because the probe is caked up with soot, creosote, bbq sauce etc. So the temp on the outside of the crud may be 230 but thermal conduction is such that where the sensing is actually done it's only 190. Yet you said this is a new grill so we can't blame the factory probe being dirty.

And as I believe I heard you note, you have both probes at the same position and are taking readings at the same time so neither spatial variability in the cooker nor temp swings in time are the culprits.

If they call this normal, I'd say OK Joe's support is not OK.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky