Question about starter culture

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I have a question about starter culture maybe someone has an answer to. I like tang in my summer sausage and snack sticks so I have been fementing my sausages using F-LC culture. I really like the results I get in the flavor. One other thing that I like to use in my other smoked sausages is NFDM. I like the texture and "plumpness" it gives the sausage.Though i have not used it in my summer sausages or snack sticks I would like to give it a try. From my understanding the starter culture will feed off the dextrose and not the cane sugar in the recipe. So the question is if I use the NFDM in the recipe wouldnt that act as the dextrose? Should I leave out the dextrose in the recipe? Keep in mind I'm not looking for a dried fermented sausage. This type of sausage is a smoked/cooked sausage . the use of the culture is for flavor only. I just like the texture I get from the NFDM. I just dont want to end up with too much sugar (dextrose) in the recipe. The recioe that I would like to use is the Simi dry pepperoni thats found at meatsandsausages.com . hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

So the question is if I use the NFDM in the recipe wouldnt that act as the dextrose?

I'm saying no to the lactose in the NFDM...
It's too complex for the bacteria in the F-LC ...

Dextrose[1] - the dextrorotatory form of glucose (and the predominant naturally occurring form). This sugar is used in a lot of products like Gatorade. This sugar is normally produced from your body

Keep the dextrose in the recipe..

Thanks, thats what I was looking for! I'll keep it in and run a batch this weekend! I knew someone here would be able to answer this for me! Thanks again!

I think the bacteria will "prefer" the dextrose and "attack" it as a preferred diet, if that's possible... I'm sure they have some sort of sensors that tell them what to eat... I know that sounds far out... but they do have to have something that drives them to survive...

No that's makes since to me. I would think they would eat the other sugars as well but not until the preferred ones are consumed first. I wouldnt think that the sausages would ferment long enough for that to happen before beeing introduced to cooking temps . and at that point the fermentation would stop anyway.

Sorry would not ferment long enough is what I meant

The only Bactoferm agent that is safe to use with cure 1 & 2 is SafePro F-LC

A pinch of dextrose mixed with 1/4 cup cold water and you F-LC will help. The f-lc will not feed off regular sugar.

Dextrose

Only about 70% as sweet as cane sugar and quite a bit heavier which helps it to mix better. Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counteract salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives us the desired tang of flavor.

Nepas does this help "wake up" the culture before adding to the sausage mix? There is dextrose in the recipe so it will have something to feed off of already. Nit just regular cane sugar.

Nepas does this help "wake up" the culture before adding to the sausage mix? There is dextrose in the recipe so it will have something to feed off of already. Nit just regular cane sugar.
Yes

Just a pinch, mix it in the culture water, set aside and add last, then mix again. Really (just a pinch)

Regular sugar, sucrose or any sort of sugar syrup wont help the fermentation.

Ok thanks. I'll try that this time as well. As far as the NFDM goes ive been adding 1/2 cup per 5lb with an equal amount of liquid. Seems like it's getting me the results I'm looking for. I thought it seemed like a lot the first time I did it but the results were good. Does this sound like a lot? Or is this a good amount?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky