Question about slaugherhouse brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I am trying my second turkey on Thanksgiving. My first breast came out a little bland so I am going with the well-received slaughterhouse brine this time. I have two questions...

1. Do I need to cook the brine to dissolve everything first? Just simmer it until all is dissolved or just mix it up well?

2. I am doing about a 14# bird, I won't get to my parents house until Wednesday evening. So the most I will be able to brine it will be about 10 hours. It will go in that night and I will start smoking early Thursday morning. Will that be long enough, or should I inject it also? Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

1. No you don't need to to cook the brine just  mix it up really good.

2. 10 hours should be good. A lot of times I just brine it over night so you will be fine. I have not tried the injection but it definitely can't hurt the bird.

I agree with RB I usually brine overnight as well and just stir the brine well to mix it all before putting the bird in it

I put mine on the stove and simmer for about 10 minutes and then cool it down. I don't know if it helps or not, but I have always had great results.

Add me to the list that simmers it to ensure all is dissolved, just make sure to cool it back down in the refirgerator before placing the turkey in it. I usually make the brine the day before I am placing the bird in it.

I have not heated my brine up yet just mixed it well.  I am with RB and Piney - overnite is all I have ever done

icon_cool.gif

Ditto Ditto what Jerry and Rbrans said and rich also agreed to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky