Question about meat grinders.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
So I bought a Harbor Freight meat grinder last week, for the price it's pretty damn awesome. But it is LOUD, like near deafing. It was $61 with a 2 year warranty though so I didn't expect much out it. It got me to thinking though, so I YT'ed videos of other models and even ones that cost considerably more still seemed to be holy crap loud. I saw a few that were much more quiet but they were $600+

my question - is there one that doesn't sound like a wood chipper for around $300? I'm wondering if a model exists I could buy and grind meat at 2am without waking up everyone in the house.

Last edited:
I have a Cabela’s carnivore 1/2 hp, quiet & powerful.
A bit over your budget, but worth every penny.
Al

Reactions: Bigheaded
Not sure you're gonna get a quiet one at that price. I have a big one from Cabelas that's pretty quiet but about 3 times your price point.

Ryan

Reactions: Bigheaded
Al

My lady said she doesn't agree with you that $100 (33%) is a "bit over" my budget lol. But that looks NICE, it's definitely on my list. I'm pretty sure this Harbor Freight special will give out a lot sooner than later.

And Bass Pro Shop has them so no shipping. Thanks for the idea man, I'm pretty sure I'll have this around new years.

Reactions: SmokinAl
When it comes to processing equipment, you generally get what you pay for.

I have a LEM BigBite #12 that is very quiet and powerful but over your price range. LEM has good quality units. Cabelas used to have good units but rumor has it they changed manufacturer when Bass Pro Shop bought them. Not sure if that still holds true.

IMHO you will be far more satisfied getting by on your cheap grinder whilst saving for a higher quality set-up.

If you have any stores around you that sell used restaurant equipment, you could get a nice grinder for a reasonable outlay.

I used a #32 hand meat grinder for years before I decided I was too lazy to crank grind any more meat. :emoji_laughing: What I found most amazing is that the electric grinder didn't really save me that much time for under 30 pounds of meat.

JC :emoji_cat:

Al

This is the one I have as well... As Al says.. VERY quiet and will eat up anything you throw in it (almost) ...

edit to say.... Mine is the commercial model before the carnivore... but pretty much the same thing (almost)

I have a Cabelas Pro series number 12 . Retail is around $250.00 .
It's been a great grinder .
I went and watched a video on a Harbor Freight grinder . Not sure if it's the same one you have , but ,,,,, sure seemed to struggle .

I almost got the Harbor Freight jobbie, but decided to spend a little more on a Weston 8# to get my feet wet, as it were. While it's not what I'd call quiet, it isn't wood chipper loud, either (I was a tree worker most of my life, so I full well know what one sounds like). I will upgrade to something better now that I know this is a regular thing ...... probably a LEM big bite #12.

Reactions: JC in GB
How much do you grind at one time?

I started off using a manual grinder.

Still have and use for small grinds.

How much do you grind at one time?

I started off using a manual grinder.

Still have and use for small grinds.

The most I've done was 2.3lb, doubt I'll do much more than that ever. It worked pretty well last week when I ground up a chuck roast for burgers. I put the meat in the freezer for 30 minutes and even after a double grind it was still fairly cold.

It's loud and it bogs down but for the price it was a steal. I was looking at manual grinders when I bought this, but most were more expensive lol.

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a some questions I have an "American NO.210 Chopper meat grinder" I am looking for information on this meat grinder. I do not know how old it is but i think is at least 50 years ??? It was my Father in-laws fathers and I think it was used to grind up old milk cows for hamburger. looking for information on how to maintain it and worth? What i can tell so far from googling I can use mineral oil for lubrication ? Any information would be helpful.. Thank You in Advance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky