• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Question about heat element placement.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
...I may have trouble finding conduit that size but I’m on the hunt.
I did do a test this morning and the element did not get hot until after the two 90’s past the mounting tab. I sure time and radiant heat would get there...
2" or 3" EMT conduit would work too. I didn't really intend for you to have to buy a full 10' stick of it--just hoped you had some handy. Round steel fence post (for chain link fence) would work too. Any thin wall steel pipe >1.5" dia will do. A 2" EMT coupler would work too. But that's $3...didn't want you to have to pay that much.
But if they've "unwound" the filament inside as it goes into the mounting tab, so it's not getting that hot, this is all overkill. Try getting one of these for less than a buck:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-1-Gang-4-in-Utility-Metal-Box-Cover-58C30-25R/202590843
Cut it from a corner of the slot to a corner of an edge so you can temporarily bend it open and fit it around the element. Mount the tab to this and route everything through a generous hole in the wood and you should be fine.
Pics are looking good!

texbowhunter316

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 31, 2014
Works been crazy with the freeze so I’ve not been working on the smoker. There is a lot of reasons they build refineries on the gulf coast. #1 to me is that it doesn’t freeze often!!!
Bill, I was late reading your last post but I took your shield idea and went with it. Our box store had a piece of stainless so I’ve mangled it into a pretty thick shield.
Once again thanks.

Attachments

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Should I leave this the size it is or trace around the element?
For a heat shield, the bigger the better. Think of the element like a piece of water tubing with a million holes in it spraying water out all over. That's what the infrared radiation is like. The water shooting up is all good. The water that shoots down and hits that shield will bounce back up at an equal angle like a ball bouncing off the ground. The water that shoots down but at a steep angle so it misses the shield is wasted. So I'd have been even happier if the shield was wider...but what you've got is great!!!

texbowhunter316

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 31, 2014
1 hour with just the smoke tube and fan went up 12 degrees. Turned the setting to 100 degrees and was holding temp in 4 minutes and fanning the output of the element from 0 to about 25%

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.