Question about Cure #2…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Skamaniac162

Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I have a question regarding cure #2. First off, I’m a total newbie at making sausage and salami. While making my first batch of salami ever, a Genoa salami, I used 32-38mm hog casing. Which I’ve since realized was too small. This caused my salami to lose 35% of its weight in only two weeks. Now, my understanding of cure #2 is that you shouldn’t consume your salami before the 30 day mark. Can I take this salami, peel the casing, vacuum seal it, and let it equalize for two to three more weeks, bypassing that 30 day safety threshold for the cure #2? Please advise.

Attachments

• 4ABAC05D-79EA-4158-9557-D2CA06549CA6.jpeg
    4ABAC05D-79EA-4158-9557-D2CA06549CA6.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 21
Yes, you can vac seal it and let it equalize. I'd wait 3 weeks. Post a cross cut slice pic. for us to see....Can tell a lot from a picture. Also, tell us about your chamber parameters....temp, Humidity and airflow settings..

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yes, you can vac seal it and let it equalize. I'd wait 3 weeks. Post a cross cut slice pic. for us to see....Can tell a lot from a picture. Also, tell us about your chamber parameters....temp, Humidity and airflow settings..
Thanks for the response. My chamber is set to 55°F and 80%RH. As far as air flow, I just have that computer fan circulating the air inside and I open the cabinet like once a day. Seems to be working well. Someone told me that the fastest weight loss happens in the first two weeks, then slows down. So I think I may just let it go the full 30 days. If it’s a little dry, oh well. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• 2B59D8B2-D813-4892-9CAB-4B8D3DF7DFC5.jpeg
    2B59D8B2-D813-4892-9CAB-4B8D3DF7DFC5.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 20
I thought your salami dried to fast....the picture confirms it. I'd lose the fan or put it on a timer and restrict it for 5-10 minutes every 12 hours if your chamber is not frost free. If it is frost free, then definitely pull the fan-no need for it...the fan on the refrigerator circulates enough air already. And most frost free refrigerators cycle air too fast....
Other than that-welcome to SMF. There are a few of us here that make salami and salumi so we can help dial you in as a new guy to it...

Reactions: Skamaniac162
And after looking at the pic....with the dry ring on the outer edge, the center is still wet...probably enough moisture there for the staphylococcus bacteria to continue breaking down nitrates. I'd vac seal and put them back in the chamber so the bacteria can still work for another 3 weeks. This will also speed equalization....and continue flavor development...

And after looking at the pic....with the dry ring on the outer edge, the center is still wet...
Maybe I spend too much time on this site, but the dry ring just jumped out at me even though I've not gotten into salami/salumi making yet. I saw it for what it was ........... the outside drying too fast thus locking the remaining moisture in the center. Many thanks to you guys who share your knowledge. When I do get around to trying these things, I will have more knowledge going in.

Just a little update: I asked this same question in a FB group that I joined. One guy noticed from the picture that because of the long links and the way they were hanging, they were touching each other. He suggested that I separate them. But when I separated them from one another, the entire sides that were touching were really soft. I think I could’ve waited out the drying for another couple weeks, but this was a deal breaker. “When in doubt…” I do truly appreciate everyone’s input though. I did keep a few of the single sticks. I’ll let you know how they turn out. And the good news? It was an inexpensive learning experience and I just freed up a bunch of space for the landjäger that I want to make! Haha. Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky