Quartering/ halving a pork butt to try multiple recipes/ methods??? favorite butt rub seaoning mix?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
sawzall.gif
I want to split up a pork butt to be able to try different recipes, methods / seasoning on it to see which ones I like best, my question is has anyone tried this before? I'd like to get 4 parts out of the butt but even more would be great like 6 or even 8! If this can be done, what's the best way to split up the pork butt? Should I try to keep the fat cap equal on all the portions? Is there a minimum size that should be used, like lets say no smaller than a 1.5 lb portion?? any suggests would be great,  also leave your favorite seasoning mix/recipes for a bad butt! THANKS! 

Interesting question.  I've only cut up boneless pork butts, usually to make buckboard bacon.  Earlier this week I picked up a 3.11 lb pork butt that had been sliced horizontally.  It contained part of the money muscle. Once again, I'm curing it for buckboard bacon, but that might be a way to do it if you have a band saw to cut through the bone.

Or..........you could pick up a pack of boneless pork shoulder from Costco.  It is two boneless butts, usually about 8 lbs each.  You could slice it any way you wanted based upon how the bone was removed and how thick you wanted the piece of meat. 

I never trim the fat cap on pork butt. It isn't the same kind of hard fat as say a brisket.

Rubs?  Here's my current favorite for pork. 

Pork Rub

Ingredients
2 Tbs Dark brown sugar
2 Tbs Paprika, sweet or smoked, your preference
1 Tbs Seasoning salt (Old Bay)
1 Tbs Kosher salt
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs dry mustard
1/2 Tbs Fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients in the order shown.  Stir with a spoon, breaking up any clumps.  Store in an airtight container.

​I've seen where people have cut pork butts in half but not any smaller. my butt/shoulder is around 8 pounds and is boneless so I was thinking that if I cut it into 4 parts, I could try 4 different rubs and methods and it also would cut down smoke time as well. But would 2 lb of meat be too little and dry out easy?

and do you use that rub on ribs? I might try that rub out! thanks for the feedback!

You can cut it small as you want just don't over cook it,country style ribs are just a cut up butt. I really like the experiment angle to find how you like your pork. If I was doing it I would only half and use the same seasoning and foil half at the stall and leave the other half naked the whole smoke. I also cut all the fat cap off so I have more tasty bark. As far as rubs go there are so many it's hard to decide a few faves of mine our Jeff's for this site you need to buy it,Bad Byrons butt rub and Meathead's Memphis dust from another site. I also will usally smoke half for BBQ and the other half with a Mexican flavor profile for more variety.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky