Quarantine Smokes (Baby Backs, Beef Short Rib, Old Fashioneds)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
Been laying low for the last week plus. Really happy we got the move done before things got bad. Hope everyone is staying safe!

I haven't spent as much time on my computer lately, so while the smoker has been up and running, I haven't posted! Figured I'd catch up all in one post.

Baby Back Ribs - maybe the best I've ever made. They ended up running about 4 hours at 250 and were honestly overdone, but that's how I like them--falling off the bone. Seasoned with Meat Church Honey Hog Hot, smoked on the Camp Chef with Competition Blend pellets, sauced with a blend of SBR honey and red wine vinegar. The color was killer on these even just when I wrapped them.

Beef Short Rib - my wife said this was the best thing I've ever smoked, and I may have to agree. Bought and froze some managers special big beef short ribs a few weeks back, and decided to get them out this weekend. They were well marbled and super meaty, and while I'd love to take credit, I think this was a case of a superior product shining through. Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow which is heavy on the black pepper and turned out great. Smoked to an IT of about 205 with no wrap until probe tender. Water pan in the smoker but no spritz. They turned out just stellar. Jiggly and beefy deliciousness, can't wait to buy more.

Old Fashioneds - I'm cheating a bit here, what I really made was a smoked orange simple syrup, but it was obviously made for Old Fashioneds. Hat tip to bangster for the idea from this thread: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-simple-syrup.295614/#post-2061115 ... I smoked the ice and used the water along with smoked, sugared orange slices to make a smoked simple syrup. A couple ounces of Weller and this stuff make a perfect pair.
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG

Looks great.

I got thinking about old fashioneds the other day, had a smoked old fashioned in OKC cpl weeks back, they used a smoke gun to add the smoke to a glass of ice before adding the booze. I know this sounds crazy but the idea I had was kinda like you, smoke the water, but use that mater to make ice. Then as ice melts you would get a constant smoke flavorm

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
Looks great.

I got thinking about old fashioneds the other day, had a smoked old fashioned in OKC cpl weeks back, they used a smoke gun to add the smoke to a glass of ice before adding the booze. I know this sounds crazy but the idea I had was kinda like you, smoke the water, but use that mater to make ice. Then as ice melts you would get a constant smoke flavorm
It turned out great, but I can't say I've had many bad "smoked" old fashioneds haha
MMMmmmmm.....
All Looks Great!!---Especially the Beef Ribs!!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks, Bear!
Wow! I can't wait to hear how the smoked simple syrup turns out. I might be seeing a lot more old fashioneds in my future.
It's a must try, big thanks to Bangster on the idea. Really great.
Everything looks delicious, those beef ribs caught my eye!
Thanks, xray! I got real lucky with those
Boy howdy all that is looking good, looking real good! Like, RAY
Appreciate it Ray!
Looks really delicious!
Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky