Putting the smoker away

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds like you do infact need one of those fancy "she sheds" for all those smokers with the ability to have one fired up during the winter months. Oh and then enough room for also a nice lounge chair with lap top, WIFI, coffee maker, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
That really stinks im sorry to hear that. I guess thats one perk ( depending on how you look at it) of living in the deep south. It rarely gets to freezing temp down here.

Sorry, but at -40 my old bones aren't going outside unless they have to. However I have no issues using either my kettles or WSM during our winter months. Wind is by far harder to deal with then cold. You'll use more charcoal, but it's worth it in the end.

When your husband does build the she shed don't insure it with State Farm. Cherly is still on tv complaining about someone burning down hers. :emoji_blush:
Chris

Thanks for all the tips!! I've seen the insulated blankets before, but wasn't sure how effective they would be in -40 temperatures, so I've been a bit skeptical about them.

In all honesty, I think I'll still pack it up for the winter because I'm a giant wuss (Even for a Canadian) and I don't really want to shovel the backyard snow just to get at my smoker if I decide to use it.

I'll make sure hubby keeps his word though, and next winter will be more productive.

When it starts getting colder, I switch to cold smokes like cheeses, jerky, sausages and snack sticks. I find it’s much easier for me to regulate the lower temperatures they require. Plus it’s a nice time to build a decent stash up for the year.

Or I will do short smokes...gone are things like higher temps with chicken and longer smokes like pulled pork.

I mean I could make it work, but I am also a giant wuss when it comes to the cold. I’d rather stay inside and curse at it.

I had the same problem so I purchased a welding blanket to cover while smoking it holds temp at about 40 degrees hotter than selected temperature but works like a charm. GOOD LUCK

Gosh I would love to have just a bit of that cool weather, It's been in the 90's everyday.
Al

LOL, I'm having a hard time feeling bad for you.
I'll trade all our weather for year round 90's ! That's my dream.

When your husband does build the she shed don't insure it with State Farm. Cherly is still on tv complaining about someone burning down hers. :emoji_blush:
Chris

LOL ! ! ! This reminded me that the US has the MOST bizarre commercials. We have a magical TV box that gets all sorts of channels, and the US ones are easy to figure out because of the completely outrageous commercials. I had a friend over last week and she said "What the hell is happening right now? What is this? How high am I?!"

Smoker put away? No problem. PoukieBear will still be here. A hibernating smoker offers a great time to catalogue ideas for the Spring thaw. And you can always test those ideas in the oven.

I'll be here, all hunkered down and trying to stay warm.

I do live in ND. and my friends use an ol worn out kettle grill or big metal farm buckets or make em, n put theres in the old n [cut out the vents],for insulation some even put pea gravel to fill space n insulation. it really doesn't have to cover the the unit even a 1/4 is good for air flow. way better n a smoke shed full of eye wrechting fog.. and dang I used to watch the farm shows from Canada and they invent every dang farm implement n big ways to do things with just junk piles .ask the farmer for help

I do live in ND. and my friends use an ol worn out kettle grill or big metal farm buckets or make em, n put theres in the old n [cut out the vents],for insulation some even put pea gravel to fill space n insulation. it really doesn't have to cover the the unit even a 1/4 is good for air flow. way better n a smoke shed full of eye wrechting fog.. and dang I used to watch the farm shows from Canada and they invent every dang farm implement n big ways to do things with just junk piles .ask the farmer for help
We don't get super-cold here in SE Central Texas, but the mid-20's is not all that unusual. We use 100% cinder block pits for everything from cold smokes to whole hog and brisket in sub 32F weather with no issues. BUT ..... that cinder block is alot more thermal efficient than the WSM.

Oh ...and, PB, I am with Al ... it reaches a point when sunshine and 90F-plus is oppressive!!

Send us all pics of that shed, please. :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky