Putting the smoker away

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I was really hoping to be able to use my smoker throughout the winter, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

My husband and I packed up the backyard this weekend, taking down the gazebo and putting away all the furniture. I also cleaned out both smokers, thinking that I would pack up the big 22" WSM for the winter and keep the 18" one for winter smokes.

With that in mind, I put on 2 racks of ribs for dinner.....and fought to keep the temperature above 200 for 2 hours before I gave up and put them in the oven.

It was cold and rainy and windy here yesterday, and I had the smoker underneath an awning, but the temps just didn't want to co-operate. SIGH

On the bright side, hubby did say that he would build me a smoke shack for next year!

Hey PB...sorry to hear of your troubles. I’m certain there are other members who use their WSMs through the winter months...perhaps some of them will weigh in to offer some tips.

This is one of the reasons I bought a an insulated smoker - doesn’t matter much what the weather does...cold or hot, windy or calm, my SouthernQ keeps churning right along.

Red

The very reason I bought an insulated cabinet smoker.

You can try a welding blanket to help keep the heat in.

Good luck with your winter cooks... :emoji_cat:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Yea, you can try a welding blanket, or maybe invest in something like a bbq guru. You'll go through more charcoal, but the fan force feeding air will maintain temperatures when it's a bit nippy outside.

This is one of the downsides of the WSM's, the thin metal doesn't compare to a heavier offset which once up to temperature becomes a good heat sync.

Reactions: JC in GB
I also had good luck using a PARTYQ or equiv in cold/adverse weather - keeps all the vents closed so there isnt cold blowing through. have you sealed the door and rings where the base meets middle and the lid? a blanket is another option. I have links to all the seals and controllers
seals
BBQ GURU

Just a couple ideas.

I dream of a covered smoking area...sigh...

I use my WSM 14.5 throughout most of the Winter.The cold hasn't been so much the culprit as has been the wind.Gasketing the door and lid were key and then using a welders blanket on those truly windy days.

I won't lie though the MES does get more use these days as I get lazier!

Do you have a garden shed you could use as a shelter for the smoker while you smoke? Yes, it means you would need some type of exhaust vent which you could connect the smoker to.

No way he'll be able to back out of that smoke shed promise since we have all witnessed it.

Granted, Dallas is not North Dakota but it does rain, winds blow strong and it gets pretty cold. This is my smoke shack and it along with my MES 30 does pretty well schielding the elements.

I ordered the shed from Amazon
Through my screw-up, I double ordered so I do have one if anyone is interested.

This works well for me!

IMG_2290.JPG

Attachments

• Doors Open  600 .jpg
    Doors Open 600 .jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PID and Digitals  600 .jpg
    PID and Digitals 600 .jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: tallbm
Thanks for all the tips!! I've seen the insulated blankets before, but wasn't sure how effective they would be in -40 temperatures, so I've been a bit skeptical about them.

In all honesty, I think I'll still pack it up for the winter because I'm a giant wuss (Even for a Canadian) and I don't really want to shovel the backyard snow just to get at my smoker if I decide to use it.

I'll make sure hubby keeps his word though, and next winter will be more productive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky