Putting spices on bacon before smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mschwartz26

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
I have made bacon 5-6 times now and love it (who doesn't like bacon though). I have 2 belly's in Pop's Brine as I type. They will come out this weekend to start the drying process prior to smoking.

Here's my question - after the belly's comes out of the brine, a lot of people put pepper, garlic, etc. on the belly's during the drying process. I understand that will add some flavor to the surface it contacts. Is there any expectation that the spices/flavor will soak in/be absorbed much farther into the meat...or is this just like adding some salt/pepper to a steak before you cook it - you taste it bc it is sitting on the top of the meat and not absorbed into the meat?

The main reason I ask this is I was thinking of trying numerous different spices/rubs/etc on different pieces of the belly but don't want to waste my time/effort if this will not really be noticed after smoking/cooking. Dumping the same stuff on it all is one thing but doing a bunch of different tests and then needing to keep them all separate is definitely more work.

Thoughts?

The molecules of most things (other than water and salts) are too large to penetrate more than a couple of millimeters into whole muscle meat. This is why a brine can influence the interior of meat, and a marinade is pretty much a surface treatment. I have bought some garlic bacon from a smokehouse in the midwest and I'm betting they use an injectable curing brine with garlic as the flavor is much more than surface...

If I want spices I'll add it as it's cooking. That way I can alter it at cook time, or use none at all.

>Is there any expectation that the spices/flavor will
> soak in/be absorbed much farther into the meat

Yes, I think there is that expectation but as thirdeye mentioned, it mostly doesn't happen.

The molecules of most things (other than water and salts) are too large to penetrate more than a couple of millimeters into whole muscle meat. This is why a brine can influence the interior of meat, and a marinade is pretty much a surface treatment. I have bought some garlic bacon from a smokehouse in the midwest and I'm betting they use an injectable curing brine with garlic as the flavor is much more than surface...
This is something I am thinking of exploring on some future batches of bacon.

Kinda what I was expecting. As always...thanks to this forum for all the knowledge!

when you think about how you eat bacon it makes sense to just season the outside. The strips are usually narrow and 99.9% eat bacon end to end not top to bottom, not that op to bottom is wide enough to get a center piece with no flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky