Putting multiple types of sausage in the stuffer canister. Any tricks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Ok, so this might be the laziest idea of all time but I thought I'd throw it out there. Lets say I mix a 5 pound batch of each of the following all pork sausages: Italian, hot italian, kielbasa, brats. And I want to be super lazy and load them all into the canister of a 30 pound stuffer without having two many frankensausages when one batch ends and the next begins. Any tricks on how that can be accomplished? I swear I saw someone say they lay a piece of bread between the layers and when the bread comes out of the horn they know they are onto the next variety. I would obviously not do this if there were other meats (ie poultry) and cross contamination would be an issue. Just curious if anyone has every done something like this? These are the crazy (and lazy) thoughts that keep me up at night. Thanks!

-Chris

Never gave that a thought so can’t help u out. I’m sure somebody will come along to help. I will be keeping an eye on this though

Bread would work and unless you are trying to lazy stuff chicken sausage and dry cured salami, there are no crosscontamintion issues. It ALL will be cooked to 165...JJ

Reactions: buzzy
Ok, so this might be the laziest idea of all time but I thought I'd throw it out there. Lets say I mix a 5 pound batch of each of the following all pork sausages: Italian, hot italian, kielbasa, brats. And I want to be super lazy and load them all into the canister of a 30 pound stuffer without having two many frankensausages when one batch ends and the next begins. Any tricks on how that can be accomplished? I swear I saw someone say they lay a piece of bread between the layers and when the bread comes out of the horn they know they are onto the next variety. I would obviously not do this if there were other meats (ie poultry) and cross contamination would be an issue. Just curious if anyone has every done something like this? These are the crazy (and lazy) thoughts that keep me up at night. Thanks!

-Chris

I have a 10L (22/23lbs) stuffer and the way it works I'm not sure the desired outcome would happen. I think things would get too mixed up since the hole may cause like a "swirl" effect where meat over the hole area wants to push down first so then that makes the meat on top want to follow and as that meat is all displaced the meat around the sides of the displacement moves from the sides inwards to fill the gap at the top of the meat displacement.

What I describe would create kind of meat folding over "swirl" effect. You may be able to get some of what you want to happen but I would think that once you hit the first portion of the "swirled" section you just have a mix if any/all kinds of sausage at that point.

The closest I have come to what you are doing is to run a full load of brats and then follow it with franks and have the frank meat push the brat meat that was left in the horn portion of the stuffer. I still got a mixture of franks and brats for about 2 feet and periodic brat meat in my franks later that we didn't do to well of a job cleaning off the inside of the stuffer cannister.

See my franks here, the dark spots are brat meat hahahah

I think you have no solid way around loading your stuffer separately for each batch of meat :(

I have a 10L (22/23lbs) stuffer and the way it works I'm not sure the desired outcome would happen. I think things would get too mixed up since the hole may cause like a "swirl" effect where meat over the hole area wants to push down first so then that makes the meat on top want to follow and as that meat is all displaced the meat around the sides of the displacement moves from the sides inwards to fill the gap at the top of the meat displacement.

What I describe would create kind of meat folding over "swirl" effect. You may be able to get some of what you want to happen but I would think that once you hit the first portion of the "swirled" section you just have a mix if any/all kinds of sausage at that point.

The closest I have come to what you are doing is to run a full load of brats and then follow it with franks and have the frank meat push the brat meat that was left in the horn portion of the stuffer. I still got a mixture of franks and brats for about 2 feet and periodic brat meat in my franks later that we didn't do to well of a job cleaning off the inside of the stuffer cannister.

See my franks here, the dark spots are brat meat hahahah

I think you have no solid way around loading your stuffer separately for each batch of meat :(

Hahah I knew there would be no sure fire way to do this! Like I said, I was just being lazy in spirit. I pulled the trigger on a motorized stuffer so all I have to do now is press a button, and while the plunger raises I do other stuff. Wash a couple of dishes, etc. takes half a second to pull out the leftover meat and rinse out the canister.

I am certainy no stuffing expert. But I would think it would work fairly well with a "horn" style stuffer.
If I were to try it, i think I would do a small batch of italian sausage without paprika, followed by a batch of italian sausage with paprika. The visual indicator is the bright orange color of the paprika to tell how many bastard links you get.
Plus the flavors would be close enough that it won't make them too weird.

Don

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky