Purchasing Bulk Spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ultramag

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Garden City, MO
I have been making alot of my own rubs and experimenting with rubs here lately. To get to the point, I've been using alot of spices so I got to looking around on google and found alot of places to buy bulk spices at a significant reduction in cost.

Does anyone here have a site they do business with that they like? Maybe one with good shipping costs or perhaps free shipping with a large enough purchase. Most importantly, is there one you've had a bad experience with?

Ya might want to check out Penzys or Con Yeager…they both are pretty good. Penzys have juniper berries relatively inexpensively and in smaller quantities, (needed for canadian bacon and venison recipes).
wink.gif

Thanks guys, some good choices here and different than the ones I found with just a random "bulk spices" google. Looks like it's between Penzey and Atlantic so far. A little more study and finalizing what I want to order first. It is amazing the cost diference in bulk quantities.

Thanks again!!!

Chad,

I have had very good luck and am very happy to buy bulk spices fron The Sausagemaker at www.sausagemaker.com. They also offer a choice of delivery methods. Since I am in a very rural area it is most convenient to have my goodies delivered to my PO Box. UPS and FEDEX sometimes refuse to come up my driveway if they can even find it!

Cheers!

Chad, have you tried spicebarn.com?

Also, if you have any east Indian markets in your area, most of them have spices @ unbelievably low prices. and variety that's hard to come by. 8)

Sounds like my kinda driveway Monty. I've always said I wish I had a driveway that required a four-wheel drive to get up. And I mean a four-wheel drive, not a leather clad grocery fetcher.
wink.gif

That is one of the first sites I found on the google search when I started hunting a supplier. They sure do have the stuff. Definately not just a seasoning or spice place.

There is really alot of these bulk spice suppliers out there. My main purpose for this post was not to find a place that sold spices by the pound. I thought maybe there was a few out there someone had used that you could count on and shipping didn't double the cost of the order.

Chad,
You would LOVE my driveway! Even in summer I have a sign at the bottom requesting all visitors to please use four wheel drive. It is steep and in two wheel drive one tends to "burn" all the way up. I reset it every spring and every fall with an excavator with a blade. Every other year I haul in five ot six tri-axel loads of bank run gravel to keep it honest.

During the winter months the trip down is usually exciting and the trip up is facilitated by very good sanding. Plowing is always top to bottom on first run. I own a Dodge Dakota SLT equipped with Winter Force tires and for plowing a Dodge Ramcharger with chains on all four! If someone comes up that drive in the winter they REALLY want to see me! Keeps out the riff raff!

Oh, and I forgot the most important feature! At the very bottom just before hitting the steepest section up and just after taking the steepest section down there is a ninety degree turn! Left going up, right going down. I usually plow out a generous landing zone. Then there is mud season! LOVE my Dodges!

Cheers!

There is a local supply warehouse that sells to the general public. It is called Gordon Foods if you do not have one locally find a Restraraunt supply house.

Sometimes I have found that Costco or Sam's will offer the spices however they are not noted for being the freshest

Your right Monty, that sounds like my kinda place. Next best thing would be a moat I reckon. If I ever get to VT I'm gonna lock'em in and air 'em down and cruise up that 'ol road with a 12-pack.

I've been about everywhere in the country except ME, VT, NH, AK, and HI. I was headed to Alaska this coming spring for about a month, but there has been a drastic change of plans. The why I am missing AK is good, but not getting to go still sucks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky