Pulled pork rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stokensmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
South Dakota
OK really scared of my mother in law's chilli and BBQ for Xmas Eve dinner so I volunteered to make some pulled pork. I need a kick a$$ rub to impress the family - something other than SPOG OR Jeff's.

I really like Mad Hunkys sweet hot. I use alot of it.

I've heard alot about Mad Hunkys and would love to try it but I am in South Dakota and have very little to choose from. Need a recipie to mix up

One of my favorite pork rubs is a commercial rub...Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub.  But if it's gotta be a homemade recipe and you don't want to use Jeff's, here's one I've used in the past for pork that got lots of compliments:

Memphis Magic Dust Rub Recipe

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Yield, makes about 3 cups.

Good luck with the MIL's Christmas Eve Cook Off!  
icon14.gif

Red

I bet if you ask 100 guys on here, they all have their favorite rub & none of them will be the same.

Here's mine, it's simple & has both sweet & spicy.

Al’s Best Rub

1 1/2 cups raw sugar (turbinado)

1/4 cup red pepper flakes

1/2 cup granulated onion

1/2 cup granulated garlic

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup smoked paprika

1/4 cup Spanish or Hungarian paprika

Hope this helps!

Al

Thank you guys. I really do appreciate it. And I don't mind seeing 100 different recipies, that way I can combine the parts I like and come up the 101st one [emoji]128512[/emoji]. Merry Christmas

I vote for Al's, all that red pepper flake!! Of course for my MIL I would add anything hot just to see her turn her nose up at it.

I have been using store bought rubs, McCormicks grillmates, has several that add a nice flavor.

• Brown sugar
  • Granulated onion
  • Granulated garlic
  • Black pepper
  • Paprika
There's your basic simple (and good) rub - Then tweak it to how you like it.  
icon14.gif

You can add hot pepper, salt, rosemary, etc.

One of my favorite pork rubs is a commercial rub...Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub.  But if it's gotta be a homemade recipe and you don't want to use Jeff's, here's one I've used in the past for pork that got lots of compliments:

Memphis Magic Dust Rub Recipe

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Yield, makes about 3 cups.

Good luck with the MIL's Christmas Eve Cook Off!  
icon14.gif

Red
I use a variation of the Mephis dust. I add chipotle chili powder until it is spicy enough for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky